Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I even close to doing this right? Serious question. page

sonny3 is offline Junior Member

Am I even close to doing this right? Serious question.

Yesterday was the beginning of my fifth week eating PB.

While I did not need to lose a lot of weight, I did need to lose some body fat and generally get into better shape. I am 63yo, and started at 187lbs and 22% body fat.

Yesterday, I weighed 175lbs and the electronic scale showed 19.4% body fat. Almost all of the weight I have lost is from my mid-section. I really don't like baggy/lose clothing and I have traded in my 36inch waist jeans for 33/34.

I know that many of you will look at this and wonder what the hell I am doing here, but it is for health reasons that I am embarking on the PB way of life. I have not really gotten into the training aspect yet, but I am seeing some muscle definition that I have not seen for a while.

I have been using FitDay as was suggested here and looking back over the last month is where the questions are raised. I really think that I am close to being 80/20 and not really having too many indulgences.

My typical day is; Morning Whey protein shake with almond milk and blueberries, Mid-day 3-4 eggs/omelet and 3 strips of bacon and Evening is meat-fish-foul and veggies (occasionally a baked sweet potato). The only supplements I am taking is Vitamin D3 (health issues), Curcumin, and Omega3. Nightly snacks are walnuts, almonds and occasional 72% chocolate square.

FitDay shows my daily averages as 1300 calories, 113g protein, 65g carbs, and 71g fat. I am happy with the fat loss, but I do want to build some muscle weight and bone density.

Do I have this balance correct? Are the Fat grams too high? I am using olive oil and coconut oil for cooking and the fat seems to be coming only from the food sources, almond milk and butter.

Any suggestions are most heartedly welcome. I don't want to get too far done the path and have to change a lot.

There are so many of you that are so much more experienced with PB than I and I look forward to your feedback.

Thanks

Paleobird Guest
    Sounds like you are doing really well. My only advice would be to dial back on the nuts and almond milk a bit. They are high O6.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    No, your fat looks fine, and carbs are in a nice zone where you won't be experiencing the negatives of being very-low-carb. If your fat loss slows, I would look at cutting down on the nuts first, including almond milk (actually I would cut the almond milk anyway--I'm really uneasy with using a lot of processed liquid food, but that's me).

You can experiment with more or less veggies, carbs, etc. If you start doing any heavy training I would try and up the protein to somewhere around 150-170g for someone your size.

The only other nit I would pick is that I really don't like substituting liquid for food--so I wouldn't necessarily do the whey shake every day. But again, if it works for you, keep doing it.

The PB's not a rigid list of exact rules, just a set of guidelines. You've got to experiment on yourself to see what works best for you. But it sounds like you're going the right way to me!

Just FYI, as you get closer to your ideal weight, your appetite will probably increase somewhat. It'll increase with your exercise load too. Don't be afraid to eat up if you get hungry, just make sure it's quality Primal food.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Paleobird and Uncephalized that you're doing very well. Any improvements from here are just fine-tuning.

Almond milk and protein powder is kind of like a training food, in my opinion, much like vibrams are training for going barefoot. Whey shakes help to ease the transition from a SAD diet, but eventually you'll want to drop them in favor of slow-digesting protein from animal sources. Such protein is much more efficiently used by your body.

At this point you may also wish to try an occasional intermittent fast. Many people find skipping breakfast an easy way to start. IF gives your body a rest from digestion and frees up energy for other things such as exercise. It will also let your insulin levels subside for an extended time, which helps improve insulin sensitivity, so that the calories you do eat fuel lean mass rather than adipose tissue.

Ultimately, if you're losing weight and feeling good, you're doing it right. Five weeks is still very new. Congratulations on your progress so far, and all your progress yet to come!

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Here's what I don't like: You consume 1300 calories a day which is very low for someone your size. That usually spells disaster for your muscles. I'm sure you've done the math yourself but here it is:

- You started out with 146 lbs. of lean body mass and 41 lbs. of fat.
    - You now have 141 lbs. of lean body mass and 34 lbs. of fat.

Basically, you lost 5 lbs. of lean body mass and 7 lbs. of fat while you were dieting. That's not exactly a disaster but I would certainly change my diet and/or training regimen to prevent losing too much lean body mass. The first thing you need to do is increase your calorie intake, and the next thing you need to do is get busy exercising with high intensity.

Just my opinion of course.

intreker05 is offline Junior Member
    Yeah, those calories are extremely low. You're going to start eating muscle pretty soon. Get away from the protein shake and eat real food. Do you think Grok had protein shakes. If you consume too few calories, you'll actually stall your weight loss. You'll start burning your muscles stores because your body basically enters an "emergency" mode where it thinks you can't find enough food so it looks at places other than fat for energy. Kick those calories up, at least to 1500. If you're eating the right foods, it's not going to make you gain weight. If you want to put on muscle, then look for around 2000 calories. You can't gain muscle from nothing, and no, fat doesn't turn into muscle. You'll need something there for energy. Start lifting heavy, doing the four basic bodyweight exercises (push ups, pull ups, squats, plank). And eat real food.
    "Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself of much life. Aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something." ~ H.D. Thoreau

Thank you all for your input.

I understand what you have pointed out about increased calories, I just seem to be having a hard time getting them in. If I follow PB about eating when you are hungry, I seem to be totally satisfied with two good meals per day. Since ditching the high carbs from my diet, I don't feel the same need to eat all of the time. Many days my first meal of the day doesn't occur til around noon, so I guess in some respects I am doing some fasting. My last meal of the day is about 6-7pm and snacks occur about 10pm. The snack is usually 1oz walnuts and almonds combined and 1 small square of chocolate. So I am going about 14 hours between eatings.

When I do have the shakes (and I get it that Grok didn't have them) I only use 6oz of Almond milk. I was trying to use the shakes to make sure that I got some calories and protein. It is easy to use them even when I don't feel hungry since they go down easy and I don't feel over-stuffed.

Any ideas about how to get higher caloric content without the added bulk and volume that makes me feel stuffed like I am having to force it in. I was really enjoying the idea of feeling satisfied and not over full all of the time.

I have recently starting the fitness part of PB and trying to to do it in a way that I don't get bored with it. I am using the principles of PBF and adding "slosh poles", SimpleFit and tire and sledge hammer/tire work outs. I am really trying to ramp the fitness part up. I guess I was just trying to get the eating part down first and maybe lose a little of the flab so I was lifting needless weight around.

I do really appreciate all of your input and will try to incorporate your suggestions immediately.

Thanks

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    If protein is adequate muscle loss will be minimized. For someone your size 150 grams or maybe a little less protein a day would be more than adequate. I wouldn't go under 130 though.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Many people try to avoid liquid calories because they leave you unsatiated. Obviously that's not your problem. If shakes is the only way for you to increase your calories intake, then go ahead. Just make sure you add some calories one way or another. And keep in mind that you will need even more calories now that you're working out too.

You wrote that you had been dieting for four weeks (just started on week 5), and you lost 12 pounds in that time frame. That's three pounds per week. You'd need a daily caloric deficit of 1500 calories to achieve that, and that is way too much. Getting lean and changing your body composition doesn't happen overnight - and you can't force it without messing up your body.

My suggestion: Increase your caloric intake until you lose approximately one pound per week.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    All of these suggestions and discussions got me thinking about today's planned menu, so I programmed everything into FitDay and this is what I come up with.

Protein shake to start the day, Cal-176, Fat 2g, Carb 12g, Pro 25g.
    Mid-day meal---Eggs and Bacon Cal-291, Fat 18g, Carb 0, Pro 24g.
    Dinner Grilled Yellowfin Tuna on a bed of wilted garlic spinach, zuccini and yellow squash with diced tomatoes, Cal 835, Fat 13g, Carb 32g, Pro 145g.

So for the day I will have -- Calories 1302, Fat 33g, Carbs 44 gram and Protein 194g.

What else can I do to add useful calories? Seems to me that this is a pretty good plan for the day, unless I am missing something about eating PB. Again, I know that the shake is not necessarily PB but if I replace it with food that will give me the same levels, I will be stuffed throughout the day.

Suggestions are welcomed. I am just really trying to get a handle on this and find other sources of doing this the right way.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast