Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *Embarrassing* Help with diarrhea page

BamaAla is offline Member

Red face *Embarrassing* Help with diarrhea

Okay Primal community, I'm having trouble with diarrhea. I've been eating this way for about 7 weeks now and things went well for the first 5, but the last two have been rocky. Each time I eat bacon, eggs, steak, or hamburgers, I get raging diarrhea. It usually happens within minutes after eating, but without fail, it happens within 90 minutes. I am not having this problem with fish, chicken, turkey, nuts, veggies, or fruit.

I know the logical answer is to quit eating those foods that cause the problem, but that will essentially wipe out the lion's share of my diet. My best friend is a doctor and he is now on me telling me that diarrhea after 90% of my meals for the last 15-20 days is bordering on dangerous and advising me to go back to a SAD. I'm not really willing to do that since my weight loss has been fantastic, but I'm starting to get worried.

What do you folks think? I'm hoping that the problem with the red meat can be fixed by switching to grass-fed; I just haven't done so yet because none of the stores I visit carry it and I have nowhere to store a bulk online order. The bacon I've been eating is the Hormel uncured stuff and the eggs are free range etc., so I'm not holding out hope for those two meals.

Sorry for being long-winded and somewhat scattered, but I'm hoping that some of you can help. I really don't want to go back to my old way of eating, but I also don't want to deal with this any longer.

ETA: I am exceeding the 80/20 suggestion. My cheats usually only come in the form of cashews and ranch dressing on my salads. My supplements: multi-vitamin, fish oil once or twice a day, and two caltrate calcium chews that contain 1200 iu calcium and 800 iu vitamin D.
    Last edited by BamaAla; 11-08-2011 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Add some information

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    there's something about them your body doesn't like, my body is the same with raw spinach and sometimes cooked

if you don't want to take a break from eating those, and really i'd take a break to see if it's those foods specifically or something you eat with them, then i'd suggest getting the highest quality you can find and eating a little less

you can get dehydrated, but unless you feel weakened or dizzy i wouldn't say it's cause to go back to CW. up your fluids and lessen the stomach dump foods
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    It doesn't sound good, in fact, this is what happens when I eat raw almonds or cashews or kiwis. I have developed an allergy to these foods due to leaky gut. I suggest cutting back on the foods and try to heal your gut. Naturopaths are a good starting-point. I take pro-biotics, L-glutamine or glutathione, zinc and drink bone broth to fix my gut and recover from my sensitivities. So far I'm no better but it takes a few months and I haven't been consistent enough.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    A few questions:

1. Could you eat all of the troublesome foods ok prior to going primal?
    2. How do you cook them?
    3. If frying what fat do you use to cook them? Do you use the same to cook the meats which don't affect you?
    4. Are the steak & burgers lean or fatty?

It could possibly be an issue with the fat content of the meal. Too much fat can have this affect on some people, and the meats that don't do this to you all appear to be lean meats. What fish do you eat? Is it oily?.

My dad had similar issues with numerous foods, beans, various veggies, etc. (me to but to a far lesser extent) until he went primal and now he can eat foods that he hasn't eaten for years (obviously not the beans, but old favourites that he's missed like cauli & broccoli).
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamorama View Post
    It doesn't sound good, in fact, this is what happens when I eat raw almonds or cashews or kiwis. I have developed an allergy to these foods due to leaky gut. I suggest cutting back on the foods and try to heal your gut. Naturopaths are a good starting-point. I take pro-biotics, L-glutamine or glutathione, zinc and drink bone broth to fix my gut and recover from my sensitivities. So far I'm no better but it takes a few months and I haven't been consistent enough.
    + 1
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Could also be a gallbladder issue. All the foods you described are on the fattier side--if you're not putting out enough bile the fat will act as a laxative. Definitely worth a trip to the doc IMO to rule out serious issues. Persistent diarrhea and persistent constipation are both not to be taken lightly.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Thank you all for your replies. I will certainly be putting in an order for some quality hamburger meat and steaks tonight in hopes that better quality meat may help.

I have a real mental roadblock to cutting those foods out because they really do make up the bulk of my diet. Rather than a bowl of cereal and toast with jam for breakfast, I knock out some eggs and bacon. Rather than a sandwich or bowl of soup for lunch, I swing by a restaurant and get a hamburger sans bun. Rather than some lean meat and pasta for dinner, I eat a nice steak or two. My weight loss, energy levels, and sleep patterns have been improved drastically in spite of my going problems, but this has me bummed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    A few questions:

1. Could you eat all of the troublesome foods ok prior to going primal?
    2. How do you cook them?
    3. If frying what fat do you use to cook them? Do you use the same to cook the meats which don't affect you?
    4. Are the steak & burgers lean or fatty?

It could possibly be an issue with the fat content of the meal. Too much fat can have this affect on some people, and the meats that don't do this to you all appear to be lean meats. What fish do you eat? Is it oily?.

My dad had similar issues with numerous foods, beans, various veggies, etc. (me to but to a far lesser extent) until he went primal and now he can eat foods that he hasn't eaten for years (obviously not the beans, but old favourites that he's missed like cauli & broccoli).
    1. I never had this problem with them before, but I was only eating a fraction of the amount I am now. Before, I would eat steak maybe once a week or every other week. Hamburgers were usually reserved for watching sporting events, and bacon was usually reserved for a breakfast here and there or on the hamburgers that I made sporadically. since starting primal, I've been eating bacon almost every morning (an as a snack food,) steaks 5 times a week, and hamburgers 4 or 5 times a week.

2. The steaks I grill. Hamburgers, when I make them at home, are about a 50/50 split between grilling and frying. When I fry them, I either use coconut oil or let them fry in their own fat. Bacon I usually put in the oven.

3. The only thing I fry other than burgers are eggs and I cook them in butter.

4. I stopped buying the lean hamburger meat when I switched, so now I use the full fat stuff. I usually get NY strips, T-bones, or fillets when I buy steak.

5. I usually go for Salmon when I eat fish. I do snack on canned tuna from time to time as well.

jakeconmag is offline Junior Member
    I am an avid reader of this forum but never post. When I read your post it resonated with me since I had the same issue. I was taking cod liver supplements and when I stopped them the diarrhea went away. I ate a very bland diet for a couple of days (chicken soup made with rice) to give my body a rest and have been able to go back on a full primal without any issues. I noticed that you are taking fish oil capsules so you might want to eliminate those and see how you do.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Kefir is what really helps my digestion. Have you tried any manner of pro-biotic?

If this continues, you do need to see a doctor to rule out more serious possibilities.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeconmag View Post
    I am an avid reader of this forum but never post. When I read your post it resonated with me since I had the same issue. I was taking cod liver supplements and when I stopped them the diarrhea went away. I ate a very bland diet for a couple of days (chicken soup made with rice) to give my body a rest and have been able to go back on a full primal without any issues. I noticed that you are taking fish oil capsules so you might want to eliminate those and see how you do.
    I'm sincerely sorry to hear that you had a similar problem; it really is frustrating since I've had to plan my meals around when I had access to my own restroom. Not to gross everyone out, but I had surgery at the end of July for a thrombosed hemorrhoid, so this isn't really helping in that regard. I will lay off of the fish capsules going forward.

From what I understand, the good meat will be a good source of N-3 fatty acids, so perhaps I will not need supplementation in the future. I put in an order for some grass-fed beef this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Kefir is what really helps my digestion. Have you tried any manner of pro-biotic?

If this continues, you do need to see a doctor to rule out more serious possibilities.
    I haven't tried any pro-biotics. My significant other drinks some green gook called super food or something along those lines that she says contains pro-biotics, so I will try to incorporate a glass of that daily.

Thank you all for the suggestions and concern. I certainly hope to have this resolved in short order. If the problem persists after the meat switch, I will visit my physician.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast