Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long-term supplement use? page

Dracil is offline Senior Member

Negative health effects from long-term supplement use (vitamins, etc.)?

Primal Fuel
    So I've been taking Animal Pak vitamins (somewhat similar to one of Mark's Damage Control Master Formula), mainly as insurance in case I have deficiencies somewhere, but have been wondering about long-term use of supplements.

So unless I'm mistaken, long-term consumption of certain things (some drugs, hormones, or other stuff) may affect your body's ability to produce or use that stuff as it tries to regulate the levels in the body, so in a sense it builds up a resistance to it. Which makes me wonder if the same thing can happen with over-consumption of all those vitamins and other ingredients in these supplements.

For example, and maybe it's not true, but I've heard people who take melatonin for insomnia eventually get into a state where they need more and more melatonin because their body stops producing as much because of them taking melatonin, thus exacerbating the problem.

i.e if too much sugar -> insulin resistance, then will too much vitamin/other nutrients -> other forms of resistance?
    Last edited by Dracil; 11-08-2011 at 02:48 PM.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Good question...is it like putting oil into a car with a leaky engine? it keeps the engine from blowing up but the leak continues?

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm interesting. I tend to cycle my supplements. The only thing I consistenly take is O3s and pro-biotics. The rest is inconsistent, things like VitD3, magnesium, zinc and Q10. If I run out I might leave it another month before I buy another load.

Paleobird Guest
    This is why I don't do supplements at all. You might need them for a specific medical condition (I needed extra bone building minerals after chemo) or you might need them for a short term situation (say a road trip where you don't get to eat right or a few weeks in the middle of winter in someplace very lacking in D) But I don't think that supplements are needed or are good for you on an ongoing basis.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    The only thing I've heard was Chris Kresser (I think) saying something about how fish oil should only be taken for a year, then you need to take a break or the excess goes rancid in your body. Or something like that. I'll find the link...

Crap. I can't find it.

Carry on.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    fish oil should only be taken for a year, then you need to take a break or the excess goes rancid in your body.

sounds fishy to me, lol.

It's not actually floating around your body as fish oil you know?!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    This is only true for certain supplements such as amino acids that affect your brain chemistry, as far as I can recall. Things like L-Tyrosine, or 5-HTP/L-Tryptophan, for example. Your body uses these from proteins to create dopamine, serotonin, etc. You wear out your adrenals from taking things like this for too long, apparently. Recommendations vary for cycling, from 3 weeks on to 1 week off, to a more equal ratio.

L-Tyrosine and 5-HTP - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum
    This is where I read about it. Not the most reputable source, but I take what I can get and the 5-HTP and L-Tyrosine have been helpful for me.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    The same argument would apply to food, where we should be getting out vitamins.

That being said, the only supps I take are Mg and D3. I think the case for Mg is pretty solid and I don't get enough sun to make my own D3.

Also, I'm not a big fan of Marks supplements(not that he shouldn't offer them, he's just nowhere near selling me personally on them), but animal pack is completely different than DCMF from my understanding.

Also remember that too many vitamins, especially unbalanced, or not from whole food sources is just as bad as not enough.

Dracil is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, well Animal Pak does have the tryptophan and Tyrosine.

Here are the ingredient lists for it. I only take 1 packet per day, so half the amount. Mark's serving size is also 2 packets.

I might look into getting more specific supplements (e.g. Magnesium or D3 during the winter) in the future. I only started using Animal Pak back then 'cause people said it was useful for lifting, though honestly I haven't found much difference taking it or not (then again, I don't seem to be very in tune with my body changes, since I didn't really experience carb flu either, or really feel the increased energy from going Primal)

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by theMarvelousMoment View Post
    It's not actually floating around your body as fish oil you know?!
    Ya think?

Yes, I know. I was just throwing it out there as something I had read from (I thought it was) Chris Kresser, but hoping someone else actually knew what I was talking about and had also heard it.

Never mind.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast