Thread: UK PB friendly tinned soup - any ideas? page

Angel_102 is offline Member

UK PB friendly tinned soup - any ideas?

Shop Now
    Hi all,

Now winter is fast approaching I like to have the odd tin of soup for lunch. However, I've been finding it really challenging to find any in the supermarket which are low carb and wheat/added starch free... Does anyone have any recommendations?

Oh, and before anyone suggests making my own - I do that too, but it is great to have a backup available for days when I don't have time to make it, or any ready in the freezer.

Thanks! Angela
    Starting Date: 21st May 2011
    Starting Weight: 194lbs
    Current Weight: 178lbs
    Goal Weight: 126lbs

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    I haven't had much luck either, I'm afraid. My OH and daughters are coeliac (and I've been cooking and shopping gluten free for about 12 years now), and about the only 2 soups I can buy are Baxters beef consomme and Heinz Cream of Tomato. The Baxters is the more Primal of the two, but that's not necessarily saying much as there's not a clue as to where the beef comes from!

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I don't hold out much hope for you I'm afraid! I used to love some canned soups but stopped eating them some years ago after reading the labels. The nearest I get to a "convenience" soup now is to put some tinned veg into chicken stock and give it a blast with an immersion blender. You can make a really delicious asparagus soup like that and it takes seconds - use the liquid in the tin too. And not much if any chicken stock with this one or it will be runny!

Also tinned peas - if you can get French tinned peas which say something like "etuvee" on the label, they make a great soup - blend with liquid, add cream and heat. A garnish of fried bacon pieces tastes great with it. Add a sprig of mint for a really fresh taste.

Tinned carrots - add ground coriander seeds, blast with chicken stock and add cream. I don't use the liquid the carrots have been in....
    Last edited by breadsauce; 11-09-2011 at 01:39 AM.

Angel_102 is offline Member
    Thanks - the tinned veg idea is a good one. I shall definitely give it a go!!

I was hoping there was a little supplier out there somewhere selling gluten free soup that I hadn't hear of. I guess not...
    Starting Date: 21st May 2011
    Starting Weight: 194lbs
    Current Weight: 178lbs
    Goal Weight: 126lbs