Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut milk page

Hawaiigirl is offline Member

Coconut milk

Shop Now
    I have been seeing a lot of people consuming lots of coconut milk on these forums. I would really like to know how much people are consuming and the benefits of it? Thanks!! Will it help me lose those last pounds?

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I recently purchased "Everyday Paleo", which has a ton of recipes. Many have coconut milk and oil included. My wife and I enjoy the taste of coconut milk, especially in recipes. However, I can't say anything yet about any weight loss benefits. However, there are many in here that tout coconut products helping them with their weight loss.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Don't do it just for that as it will most likely disappoint. They say medium chain triglycerides (MCTs, found in coconut and its derivatives) help get the body in ketosis, and thus more effectively burn body fat for energy, but I've used coconut mil and oil for well over a year and there's nothing really magical to them with regards to fat loss in my experience. I use both for the health benefits, anti-fungal properties, etc.

Eat more meat and veggies and don't go too crazy on added fats and it should help with fat loss. Eating primal allows your body to switch where it gets energy from, instead of a constant supply of glucose (from eating grain carbs) your body switches to using stored body fat for fuel. If you supply it with too much dietary fat though, it will take less fat out of storage.

If you're still under 2 months primal you may still be transitioning and high-fat is recommendable, after a few months when you know you're fat-burning (able to skip meals without too much trouble, no odd feelings of light-headedness, etc) a sensible fat, moderate protein/carb approach is best. Let your body use the fat you have on you.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Maybe? You'll probably just have to try it. It gives you lots of good fat and calories and makes you feel full, as well as triggering to your body that you are getting plenty of fat so there is no need to store it. There seems to be a pretty wide range of people's intake. I'll use it in curries, but if I want just the fat I'll drink some heavy cream or half-and-half.

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    I've started using it in my coffee instead of cream (or half-n-half). I'm trying to avoid dairy and this is a good option for me, and I've learned to love the taste.

I also use it quite a bit in cooking. It can give a really nice rich flavor to soups and stews. Sometimes I do use the light versions in cooking just so it's not so heavy & rich. Trader Joe's has the light version for .99/can in my area, and I order the full fat version from Amazon by the 12-pack because it ends up being about a buck cheaper per can than buying in my grocery store.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    The added beauty of the Trader Joes version is it only has 2 ingredients...coconut milk and water!

Yummy in so many things, weight loss help who can tell?
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    I use it in custard. My receipe calls for three cups of milk and I use one can of coconut milk and the rest (which ends up being about another cup) of & . It gives the custard a nice flavor and a touch of sweetness without actually tasting coconut-y, which I don't like. My weight dropped like a rock when I went Primal but I don't know how much of that was due to the coconut milk but it sure didn't hurt. I regularly pig out on this custard and haven't gained back an ounce. YMMV.

Hey, what is the recipe for the custard?
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    I originally posted this with just & . 'tanyajogi' commented it would be good with coconut milk and she was right!

Ingredients:

5 eggs
    tsp. salt
    3 cups & or 1 can coconut milk + & to make 3 cups total
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    nutmeg

Preheat oven to 300

Butter a 1 qt. baking dish. In a large bowl with electric mixer at low speed, beat eggs and salt until lemon-colored. (I use the whisk beater.) Gradually beat in & and vanilla until blended. Pour into the buttered dish and sprinkle with nutmeg (or cinnamon or whatever). Set this dish in another, larger pan and fill with hot water to within an inch of the top of the custard dish.

Bake until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, 1 hrs. <>. Carefully remove the custard from the hot water bath, cool on a rack and nom either warm or refrigerated. IMO, the flavor, and particularly the texture, doesn't really develop until it's thoroughly chilled, but my husband likes it warm. Just saying, if you try it warm & are not impressed, let it cool competely & try again.

Thanks! I love the taste of coconut, and this actually looks like it would make a nice breakfast! I like this sort of thing chilled as well.

I made coconut butter the other day (put dehydrated coconut into the food processor until it turn smooth, then chilled it) and I am thinking I could do that and add a bit of dark chocolate and have a really nice treat.

oops, sorry, I guess that is not really a coconut milk post.
    Chris
    Unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast