Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Does Anyone Just Not Care? page 4

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Depending on how hard you are running and how efficient you are and well trained you are, running can be non-cardio workouts. I have adapted pretty well to burning ketone bodies and my training has improved my efficiency tothe point that many of my runs are done at the low end of my aerobic heart rate zones. I run back to back long days on weekends with anywhere from 25-50 miles in two days, but hardly ever get into breathing heavy. If you are going to be running half-marathons fast then there would be some chronic cardio involved simply due to the intensity required to run fast for 75-90 minutes. Ultra-distance trail running is a very challenging type of exercise that I enjoy a lot. I NEVER run on pavement anymore.

Of course, I have had to adopt a style of eating to accomodate for my running, adding back in white rice and a little quinoua from time to time to increase my carbohydrate intake. Its a trade off I make because trail running makes me happy.

Dave
    Last edited by Karma; 12-26-2011 at 08:06 AM.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I love running. I became a regular runner - 25 - 28 mi. a week, about 8 months ago. My muscles are still intact, if not even more pronounced from losing some body fat since I started. I have not sustained any injuries or body aches from it and overall I feel that I have benefited a lot.
    An important thing to consider is that once you build up good conditioning, your running feels somehow less strenuous and "chronic cardio" is no longer a factor. I just don't feel that cortisol could be continuously released when you feel good.

earthmamangelbaby is offline Junior Member
    could that be why no-one replied to my thread a few days ago about nutrition and training for longer road races and track racing? does it not fit with Paleo and therefore doesnt justify an answer? I agree if you love running, then do it!

blissfull is offline Junior Member
    My definition of "chronic cardio" is cardio training at a high intensity on a regular basis like 5-6 days a week.
    I love how running makes me feel. I always feel great afterwards and think," That was so worth it". I understand that is all those stress relieving hormones circulating because of all that stress I have just put my body through. A change that I have made to combat this or to make my running a stress reliever instead of a stress producer is to go at a pace that is just comfortable, one where I just breathe through the nose and am not trying to get my breathing under control. A pace where I am not even aware of my breathing would describe it better. It takes no more effort than hiking uphill at a quick pace. I guess this has turned me into a "jogger" as opposed to a "runner". A couple of days a week I throw in some sprints so I still get my fix.

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blissfull View Post
    My definition of "chronic cardio" is cardio training at a high intensity on a regular basis like 5-6 days a week.
    I love how running makes me feel. I always feel great afterwards and think," That was so worth it". I understand that is all those stress relieving hormones circulating because of all that stress I have just put my body through. A change that I have made to combat this or to make my running a stress reliever instead of a stress producer is to go at a pace that is just comfortable, one where I just breathe through the nose and am not trying to get my breathing under control. A pace where I am not even aware of my breathing would describe it better. It takes no more effort than hiking uphill at a quick pace. I guess this has turned me into a "jogger" as opposed to a "runner". A couple of days a week I throw in some sprints so I still get my fix.
    +1
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

RobbyJ is offline Member
    Hey folks,

Not a runner right now, but a former competitive swimmer. I have to agree with all the folks saying that long cardio is good in moderation, and both "long" and "moderation" depend on the particular person. A hot swimmer can get in the water for a workout and easily do 3+ miles over the course of an hour. On the other hand though, a poor swimmer or beginner will be taxing their body way too much with that kind of workout.

Anybody know a morbidly obese person or somebody completely out of shape? C'mon, they can go for a 20min walk and be about to die, but for most of us here that doesn't even count as exercise. If you're a runner and enjoy getting out there, do it! If you're really good you can jog and categorize it as moving slowly, if you're a beginner then putting in a lot of time is really taxing.

I want to get in to running when my knee issue is settled, next year. My friends get together a few times per year to run a 5k at one of the local charity races. It's social, fun, for a good cause and everybody feels really good afterwards. Even if it was 10k that's fun. For most of us, though, anything more than that would be forced, too much work, and that starts to be a problem, so I would call that chronic cardio.

Run as long as it feels good. 2.5 - 3 miles for me. No more damned marathons. It's crazy bad fr you in so many ways. Sprinting on the other hand...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234