Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Just Not Care? page 2

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    One of the best things I ever did for myself was finally admit out loud....I HATE RUNNING!

I gave myself permission to quit and feel joy every time someone asks me to go running with them and I say, no thanks....I HATE RUNNING

Perhaps some people are more adapted to it and release less cortisol? Doing something you love that functions as a great stress reliever must have some benefits compared to those of us who just don't feel natural doing it.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I envy you, I always wanted to love running, I tried for years by doing it 3-5 times weekly, and no... Not once did I learn to love it. It was a chore and I only loved the part where I got home to a cold shower! If you enjoy and love it, embrace the experience. I'm sure there were Groks brack in the day who loved running and was better at it than the next person. I guess it can only be called chronic if it makes you feel stressed out and overworked.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blah View Post
    I guess so long as your time limit is less than an hour its not so bad. The human body is not built for extended periods of such high stress. I'm not sure what the best time limit would be, but I think shorter would be better such as 30 minute or less. Try to think of it as fight or flight, the body is not built to be in that state for more than a few minutes, let alone the hour plus many people take it to.
    Yeah I'm figuring with my packed schedule, 30 minutes would be the maximum.

katiedid is offline Junior Member
    I ran a half marathon this year just to check it off the to-do list. As someone who never ran before that, it was actually kinda fun seeing how far I could push myself. If you enjoy it, do it.

BUT If you're feeling kinda chronic... then how about a half marathon WITH awesome obstacles? Check out the TOUGH MUDDER!

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    If you love to run and it is "play" for you go for it.... I am envious of people who run for the love of it, I can't stand it. But I love to lift heavy things.... Is there such thing as Chronic Lifting?

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    If you like running, then do it. No one is telling you not to run. It's just important that you know the health implications. If the joy and satisfaction you get from running is greater than the increased risk of injury, muscle catabolism and joint health, then run. The issue Primal has with chronic cardio is that people think it's healthy, so they do loads of it even though they hate it. If you love it and understand the risks, that is a totally different situation. Think of running like whole wheat pasta. Most people buy whole wheat pasta because they think it's good for them, and you just have to have those servings of whole grains. We know that not to be true. However, if you know the health implications of whole wheat pasta but you just love the stuff and indulge every now and again, then that's a totally different story. It's all about risk vs reward. Know your risk, and if the reward outweighs it, go for it!
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    And, you know, not to be all Debbie Downer, but there ARE real health implications from all that running. I can't tell you how many hip replacements I've seen in the course of my job on runners only in their 40s. If you've ever seen a fairly young person trying to walk with a new hip replacement, it is at best sobering .... at worst, alarming. Hopefully, the absence of grains and other inflammatory agents and running barefoot will lessen the wear and tear for the runners here.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

thebiggfella is offline Junior Member
    Do the distance running if you want to and enjoy it, but there's far better, less damaging ways to exercise. Personally, I wouldn't run if you paid me. I value my health too much but hey, each to their own. Does the owner of this site not refer to such activities as 'chronic cardio'? I think the points that Mr. Sissons makes in TPB in relation to this kind of thing are jusified and are borne out of common sense thinking.

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    And, you know, not to be all Debbie Downer, but there ARE real health implications from all that running. I can't tell you how many hip replacements I've seen in the course of my job on runners only in their 40s. If you've ever seen a fairly young person trying to walk with a new hip replacement, it is at best sobering .... at worst, alarming. Hopefully, the absence of grains and other inflammatory agents and running barefoot will lessen the wear and tear for the runners here.
    Yeah, I think the hip replacement issue (actually, almost all of the "joint issues") common to runners can be significantly reduced by moving toward the more natural barefoot/minimalist running form (forefoot striking).

As for the cortisol, inflamation, and cardiovascular issues, I like ChocoTaco's perspective up above.

Heel-strikers who hate running but log miles because they think it's "healthy" absolutely need to make a change.
    Last edited by ciep; 11-24-2011 at 11:23 AM.

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    Sometimes I miss being a runner. I kind of enjoyed saying "Yeah, I ran 45 miles this week." I miss the way I felt after pounding out a "quick 7" before work. No way in hell I'm going to try getting a treadmill into this apartment though. That would be a disaster.

I just thought of something. If I DO decide to start running again... I don't suppose it would be chronic cardio if I set a time limit, and if I want to increase miles I have to go faster, not longer. Yes?
    Longer and at less than 75% of max heart rate. Distance really isn't relevant, it's exercise at low intensity. The more fit you are, the faster you can run at that intensity. Vary it up with a sprint interval workout 1-2x per week.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast