Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan vs. Paleo common ground page 2

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

joelwlcx is offline Senior Member
    Look up "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" on Youtube. It pretty much says exactly what you just said.
    "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

PriFrance is offline Member
    I think everyone on the forum agrees that grain elimination is beneficial and muscle/ functional fitness is more important than the number on a scale after all using bullshit like the BMI some of the worlds best athletes are "obese". I do think it is important to always question everything and when 2 different approaches work on 1 goal (fatloss and paleo vs vegan) ocams razor seems to hold that the simplest answer is the correct one in this case added sugar/ fructose is the main reason for obesity while other factors are minor in comparison.

Anyone have any thoughts with this in terms of minimalist training versus the 5x5 3 times a week? I know i have seem similar results with both but I am a tall hardgainer.

Paleobirdy is offline Senior Member
    I think it is the elimination of most processed foods. I think most vegans who rely on chips, salsa and packaged soy products are fooling themselves about their health. I don't see vegans removing lots of fructose at all. They are just substituting sugary junk for lots of fruit. And I know most vegans do LOTS of fruit, and juices.
    If people really look at the china study, they will find what Denise Minger found, a wheaty smoking gun. Many uber-healthy vegans also eliminate much of the wheat from their diet, because it is common for wheat products to have lots of crap, too.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    lol, the common factor is limiting calories not fructose. You lose weight by limiting calories.

VeggieLove is offline Junior Member
    ChocoTaco369 - "2.) Vegan weight loss - poor sources of amino acids, low protein intake, high levels of toxins from heavy grain consumption, soy, legumes, vegetable-based oils and "meat" and "dairy" substitutes and massive sugar consumption lead to "weight loss" as well. This diet promotes the loss of muscle tissue, connective tissue, bone density and emaciation due to vitamin and mineral deficiencies, particularly B vitamins. You may lose more "weight" on the Vegan diet, especially since overall calories are kept low from a lack of nutrient-dense foods (it's difficult to eat 3,000 calories worth of lettuce, bananas, potatoes and broccoli vs steak and eggs), but realize that fat is protected better than muscle on this lifestyle. This leads to the "skinny fat" condition."

I'm glad that the paleo diet worked so well for you, but from your comments it's clear that you're basing your assertions on opinion only and not actual fact. Veganism does not cause massive muscle and bone loss when implemented correctly by educated individuals. It doesn't automatically equate to low protein intake and overconsumption of grains either. That might be how the handful of hipsters who suddenly decide to go vegan in their twenties with little to no prior research do it, but most of us who go meatless and/or dairyless are genuinely healthy and know better. Even as a gluten free vegetarian most of my protein is sourced from organic non-gmo soy, green veggies, nuts and seeds, and beans and legumes. Small amounts of it come from cheese, eggs, and single servings of heart-healthy sprouted (gluten free of course) whole grains like quinoa, amaranth, sorghum, and certain rices, but that's really just the tip of the iceberg. Meatless diets work fine as long as you do it right; there needs to be a balance of lean proteins, low GI carbs (except for right before you workout when you need high GI carbs), and healthy fats for sure, but that's any diet. I strategically plan my meals so that I never go more than four hours without eating, every meal is constructed around complex carbs and at least 15 grams of protein with some monounsaturated fats, I get 25 to 35 grams of protein in my pre-workout meal and 30 to 50 post-workout, and I get slow digesting protein before bed to help keep hgh levels high. Following this simple gluten free, whole foods, vegetarian diet plan and mixing it with 4 days lifting and 3 session of HIIT per week, I managed a major body recomp. That's to say I lost fat and built muscle at the same time, without meat. So my point is, just because you didn't do it, doesn't mean it can't be done. People need to stop perpetuating the entirely false stereotype that veganism and vegetarianism are bad for you.
    Last edited by VeggieLove; 09-18-2013 at 07:48 PM.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Did you really have to necro a thread from 2011?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    because militant vegan.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Vegans are usually miserable so they take it out on people.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Both primal and vegan would like to see better quality food available to all. Organics for both; grass fed, soy free, and wild for primals. Both believe that their way is the sustainable way to feed the planet in the future. Both believe their way is the best way to take care of their bodies and overall health.

When we stop whippin' them out and measuring to see whose way is the one true way for all the people everywhere ever, we might actually have a big enough group to put pressure on the PTB to provide those foods - dumping subsidies for GMO crops, or evening the playing field by subsidizing organics for eg.

But as long as vegans keep calling us killers, and as long as we keep telling vegans that they are stupid, a whole group of people who want to see CAFO and monocropping be part of a bad period in history will remain fractured and impotent. Hmm... I wonder who benefits from that.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast