Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belly Fat page

Primal210 is offline Junior Member

Belly Fat

Primal Fuel
    Hello, I have been primal for over a little of a year. I have became some what lean in all areas except my stomach area. Recently I have tried carb refeed, fasting, & normal primal diet and I cant seem to tap into this belly fat. About one month ago, i read the forum for hours looking for an answer. Before going primal (July 2010) I weighed 265-269 lbs. I was down to about 190 within 5-6 months. This year around July I got down to 169, but I was doing alot of running. I figured I was border-lining chronic cardio, so i eased off and it creeped back to 180. I have been 180 ever since, I can get down to 176, but easily creep back to 180. I even fasted at 176 to recalibrate, but still nothing.

My current stats:
    Height- 5'9'
    Weight- 180 lbs
    Waist - 37" (not pant size, actual measurement)
    Stomach Circumference (above waist) - 39"
    Daily carbs 0-50 gms (maybe one/two days of 75-125 gms)
    Protien - 100-165 gms
    Fats - 130 gms
    Moderate exercise (week) - 3 days of excercise/ 1-2 days of running not more than 3 miles

I have even fasted before/during workouts.

Please any help/advice, I know i cant be the only one.

js290 is offline Senior Member

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Along with js290's suggestion for you to LHT, you may also want to add in more carbs. VLC doesn't work for everyone; you may actually burn fat more efficiently if you have more carbs in your diet.

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Do you do sprint intervals as part of your workouts? Do you do any heavy weight lifting? I do more running than you list. Running doesn't = chronic cardio. It's the average heart rate you maintain during exercise that can lead to chronic cardio. If your average heart rate is less than 75% of you maximum heart rate you are not into chronic cardio. Even sprint intervals, when done with a warm up run before, jog backs and cool downs after each sprint and a cool down jog after the sprints will mean an average heart rate below 75% of max for the workout.
    As far as the eating goes, how often do you eat? My biggest fault is grazing through the evening. I'm better with the weight when I don't spread the eating out over too much time. Eat, be finished with it and move on to something else. On weekends, I like to get by on two meals instead of three. I haven't been primal as long as you. Only four months. I'm 5'9" also and was always stuck around 180 - 185lbs until last July. I'm now just under 160lbs. It was all in the diet. I had been lifting and running before and I do less of it now, with better results.

@ js290 & JackieKessler thanks, i will re-evaluate.. @pace2race you think you can DM me some workouts that you do or a schedule of your exercises & running? Maybe a link to help educate me more on my heart rate. When you say two meals instead of three, are you talking about each day or the whole weekend (saturday/sunday)? Thanks in advance for time & help! I only really eat twice a day and dont consume that many carbs, but as JackieKessler said maybe i need to throw in another meal for more carbs in it, cause I know if i eat more carbs in two meals I would be stuffed.
    Last edited by Primal210; 11-08-2011 at 10:58 AM.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    I would definitely start running sprints once a week and hitting the heavy weights 2 or 3 times/week. Doing carb refeeds after heavy weight training has helped me, too. My measurements are moving in the right direction for the first time in months.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

@uncephalized do you walk regularly or just do the sprints once a week? do you do intervals? you can you send me a message with your workout/running schedule & how you do things? thanks!

Vanessa120 is offline Senior Member
    How is your stress and sleep?

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal210 View Post
    @uncephalized do you walk regularly or just do the sprints once a week? do you do intervals? you can you send me a message with your workout/running schedule & how you do things? thanks!
    My workout plan is thus:

Every day: walk and move around as much as I can given my work schedule and whatever I have to get done.

Mondays: Lift weights after work (3x5 barbell progressions a la Starting Strength). Just under an hour.

Tuesdays: Morning run/walk (currently doing Couch-to-5K, as of this morning), 25 minutes total.

Wednesdays: Sprints after work. I go for a walk with my dog and fiancee and alternate walking a couple of blocks with sprinting a block, 5-8 intervals depending on how I feel that night. I always go 100% balls-out so usually I am totally gassed after 5 or 6 sprints. About 20-30 minutes.

Thursdays: Morning run/walk (Couch-to-5K), same as Tuesday.

Fridays: Lift weights after work, same as Monday.

Saturdays: Morning run/walk, same as Thursday. Also sometimes go to the archery range to practice.

Sundays: Rest day. No intense activity usually. I might go for a hike or shoot a few ends if I feel like it. Relaxing stuff. Mostly just house chores and projects.

My weight program is the Starting Strength Practical Programming novice routine. I've been doing it for a few months now and seen steady gains in all my lifts (squats are lagging a little because I pushed too hard at the beginning and hurt my back a bit, but they're moving up again now). However, to accommodate sprints on Wednesdays, which I am sure as hell not going to do on the same day as lifting, I decreased the frequency to twice a week instead of 3x. I just spread the program out so 1 week of the program as-written takes me a week and a half. It hasn't hurt my progress any and I don't have to eat quite as much food to keep progressing at this rate.

As far as food goes, I've been seeing good results the past month by following the Leangains plan of 16-hour fasting each day, and cycling carbs to match my workouts. I fast from dinner until lunchtime every day (usually 8 or 9 PM to 12 or 1 PM the next day).

On cardio and rest days I go low-carb, eating mainly meat and veggies and maybe a little bit of berries or some other tasty treat. Plenty of fat and protein. On lifting days I eat a moderate-carb and -protein meal or two pre-workout, then gorge on lean meat (chicken or fish) and starch (white rice or sweet potato), keeping fat low. Usually my post-workout meal is in the 1500 kcal vicinity, with overall calories in the 2500 range for the day. Lots of starch (200-300g) and protein (~200g), low fat (~50-60g). I accomplish this most Fridays by going to all-you-can-eat sushi and gorging on about $80 worth of nigiri for $20. The restaurant does not make money on me.
    Last edited by Uncephalized; 11-08-2011 at 01:21 PM.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

@vanessa120 sleep is 7-10 hours, stress is low.. @uncephalized thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast