Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Psoriasis, anyone? page 2

Mog
    Mog is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Barehard, that's brilliant. and I imagine your elbows will enjoy the sun too! Thanks

Ana - any secrets you can share from the book?

Sungrazer - unless its a conspiracy and the universe hits some "extra itchy" switch certain days

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member

Mog - Hah! That may be the case, but I don't belive in conspiracies. Occam's razor however, that's another story! To quoute: "When competing hypotheses are equal in other respects, the principle recommends selection of the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions and postulates the fewest entities while still sufficiently answering the question."

Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

ana
    ana is offline Junior Member

The premise of the book is that if you eat certain foods that disagree with you, and you have a slow digestive system so the bad foods hang around for ages in your guts, the skin gets used as a secondary waste extraction system, analogous to excreting ketones through the lungs. Or something like that (it's been years since I read it - it's been on loan to a series of friends).

The long and the short of it is, I am sensitive mainly to nightshades, although there are other allergens that are recommended to avoid like dairy and wheat(!). And making sure your digestive system moves along well is also important- constipation makes things much worse. He also recommends getting sunlight on your skin.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

barehard, doesn't that just piss you off? We have so many people living with all kind of health issues causing discomfort and addition health threats, and our healthcare either tells us it's incurable and can only be controlled with drugs, or they want to operate.

My mother had a pretty bad one on her scalp. She's blond so I could always see how irritated and red her scalp was. 7 months into primal diet and everything's pretty much completely cleared up. She still has a bit of skin flakiness, but nothing comparing to what she had before.

Oh, by the way, I don't know if you tried that before, but coconut oil as a topical use works really, really well.

3fiddyz is offline Junior Member

I have had great success with coconut oil to clean up the small patches that didn't disappear after going primal 2.5 months ago

Mog
    Mog is offline Senior Member

Thanks Ana. Love it how a lot of 'treatments' co-exist or are dependant on eating consistent with primals 'rules'. It says a lot.

Thanks for the coconut oil suggestion chocolate chip - I will give it a try and report back. I love this forum.

barehard Guest

Re Doctor Pagano. I read and (sort of) followed Dr Pagano's diet from his book. What a miserable diet! There's no way I could stick to it. I think he was half there in hypothesising that psoriasis is caused by an inability in the psoriatic patient to properly metabolize fats. His theory was to cut out ALL fats (except omega 3 of course) I now believe that it may be caused by a LACK OF (healthy) fats as well as other elements of the CW diet (grains, excess carbs, sugar) causing gut irritation and poor fat usage.

Anyway, I'm glad I read it and researched around the topic as it furthered my understanding of our complex organism. I'm not saying he was wrong by any means but knowing what I know now and seeing results allows me to backwards-hypothesise and modify his theories if you know what I mean.

My heart goes out to anyone with psoriasis/eczma. It really is a terrible thing to have. Advice from healthcare proffesionals on the topic is invariably disheartening and dangerous.

But if I'm really honest with myself, my psoriasis affliction is what ultimately inspired me to learn about holistic health and of course, brought me to MDA. WOOOHOO FOR PSORIASIS! lol. peace.

lifewithjades is offline Senior Member

Infinite Aloe- infinitealoe.com I believe is the site. The stuff works. I have seen it help many, many people. The trick is several applications daily. May be worth a try!

pieter d is offline Junior Member
    Barehard,

Psoriasis was the thing that did the same for me. I had read Art De Vany's text on evolutionary fitness, and it made so much sense to me. So I started to imply some of the things he advised. I also began reading more. And then, I found some articles on psoriasis and diet (my psoriasis always was quite limited and it didn't bother me that much), and decided to go all the way!

I think I (or my familiy) needed the 'excuse' of the psoriasis. Funny thing is that a lot of things improved in the beginning, but the psoriasis remained. Now it really is better. And I'm at the end of a Belgian winter...

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil is great for Psoriasis, taken both externally and internally. Mine has pretty much cleared up since going Primal. I got it badly on my scalp and started rubbing coconut oil in it at night and washing it out in the morning. It's a great hair conditioner too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12