Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Terrible cook! page 3

csgmoore is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    Amazon.com: The River Cottage Meat Book (9781580088435): Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall: Books The River Cottage Meat Book. This is the place to go if you want to take it up a notch from the butcher's guide book. Its a lot thicker and more detailed, but the writing is clear and its still an entertaining and fascinating read. He also definitely takes the time to explain many meat cooking techniques; not only what they mean but WHY you do a specific technique for a specific cut. I have purchased this book as a christmas present for not just one but TWO couple-friends of mine who have gone paleo, and they all love it.
    It warms the cockles of my British heart to see an American recommend this (and not the first time on this site). I have this book too and it is brillant - and so Primal friendly - a whole chapter on meat thrift.

Can I also recommend Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cookery Volume I - a work of complete and total genius. Contained in the pages of this gem is just about every cooking technique you'll need from the simplest - how to make the perfect omlette to the complex - making moulded desserts. There is also lots of great info on how to make all the different types of stock - including just chicken, chicken plus veal - white and brown stocks - a Primal staple. There's also lots of great ways to prepare vegetables. And how can you not love a book which has a whole chapter on aspic?

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" is another good cookbook.

La.C is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duckmama View Post
    Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" is another good cookbook.
    I haven't tried a single recipe in this book that turned out badly. And everything in it is SOOOOOO easy. I second the recomendation.

jmday is offline Senior Member
    California Native living in land locked Kansas
    Trish and others have great food blogs. I like her's because the instructions are step by step.

my hints
    Eggs - great example is if you cook with too high heat they become rubbery frisbee's. Medium heat and more slowly they are fine
    Salad - throw what ever you like in the bowl and toss with EVOO and vinegar. really hard to screw up salad
    meat- if BBQing. bring meat up to room temp from fridge. you will have less grease fires and your meat cooks more evenly
    Julia
    Starting Weight 235 - Dec 1, 2010
    Started Primal Mid January 2011
    Current Weight 183
    Goal 160

Get Outside Already!

http://moderndayfitandfood.wordpress.com/
    http://moderndaydesigns.wordpress.com/

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    best thing i can tell you is learn when things reach proper temp ... overcooking murders meat ....

heres a simple easy recipe ...

take a whole chicken from the grocery store ..
    preheat oven to 425
    rinse it off
    pat down with paper towel
    cover skin lightly in bacon grease (im being serious LOL)
    lift up the skin and season the breast and leg (i use lemon, pepper, salt, garlic, rosemary, maybe somethin spciy like cayenne but you could also use a premade spice mix of sorts)
    lightly season salt the skin
    throw it breast down in a pan (or split the chicken first and cook skin up both sides)
    bake at 425 for 20 minutes
    drop temp to 400 and cook 40 more .. check temp with meat thermo
    let is rest 10 minutes before eating

TASTY ... easy, and you will feel confident again ..
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    ps - i think some of the beauty of eating primal is letting the meats/veggies speak for themselves ... cookin veggies in a little salt/pepper/coconut oil is simple and delicious.. or even just steaming them .. also with meat most times salt/pepper will be enough for a nice flavor .. god gives us beautiful beasts to eat LOL ...
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    1. Watch The Food Channel.
    2. Crockpot.
    3. Move up to a Dutchie once you've got the hang of #2.
    damn this sounds just like me! I learned almost everything I know from the Food Channel. We don't have TV anymore but I did like the food channel. Although with all the cupcake and dessert shows it's hard to find anything worth watching anymore. Maybe there's some Julia Child stuff on youtube.

Hey OP, get a slowcooker.
    Primal Matrix - primal/paleo news feeds aggregator
    LowCarbFlix - carb free videos

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    I've found some of Julia Child's old videos at my libary - they can be a boatload of fun.

AnnCap is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the advice and resources everyone. I am sure I will get better with time, but it is just disheartening right now.

I really wish my father would have taught me how to cook. He can make anything taste great with whatever is in the fridge at the moment. Growing up, we had tasty cajun cooking almost every night. I just had no desire to learn and he did not push it on me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast