Thread: Protein per day? page

321Dad is offline Junior Member

Protein per day?

I've seen it said to figure about 1 gram of protein per pound of body mass as a starting point for how much protein to eat per day (LEAN body mass according to most, but some people recommend figuring from total body mass and letting it drop as the weight comes off).

I'm also aware that grams of protein does not equal grams of food (ie: a steak also has water & fat content)

Being an American "edumacated" in the ounces/pounds english system, how do I translate grams into ounces?

I Googled it and got 28.3 grams per ounce.
    At 280-ish pounds, if I were to go 1 gram per pound, that would be 280-ish grams... or about 10 ounces.
    If using Lean Body mass, I'm figuring 175-ish, then I'm looking at about 6 1/4 ounces.
    Daily Total!?! That couldn't be right, I said to myself.

This website says:
    for beef figure about 7 grams per ounce of meat
    for Chicken, figure about 8.75

So, with about 7 grams (per actual protein) per ounce (of average meat), I'm now looking at between 25 to 40 ounces of meat per day.

Does this look right?

I'm coming from a background of having had some success (*) with the Zone Diet, so this seems a little high on the protein intake... not that I mind at all being the carnivore that I am.

*by "some success" I mean that 3 years ago I did that for a couple months and lost almost 30 pounds, but I fell off the wagon. When I went to look at getting back into it, I was totally turned off when I found Sears' new focus of vegetarianism and his bizarre "molecularly baked" products... WTF???

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Yes, that's about right. A typical beef steak would be about 22-24 oz for 175 g of protein. Yes, it is a lot of meat. It's also a lot of delicious.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Oh, also, look into signing up on Fitday.com or a similar site for an easy place to track macronutrients and calories. It's really easy that way.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

raptoryell is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    ......It's also a lot of delicious.
    Absolutely!

I take into consideration what my ideal lean body weight would be and eat the .7-1 gram/lb lean body mass with that number. Not my current weight.
    Primal (2013)
    Locavore (locally grown foods when possible)
    Training consists of Muay Thai, BJJ, weight training, and mountain biking

Would like to be in good shape by my 36th Birthday (07-07-2013)

321Dad is offline Junior Member
    175 pounds of lean body mass should lead to about 25 ounces of average meat... this sounds like it translates pretty close into the "meat the size of your palm" approach (about 6-8 ounces in my case).

I like the idea of "unweighed and unmeasured" so if I can just eyeball the meat portion in this same method and be close to the calculated total for my daily total, then I'm happy with that.

Can my daily protein measuring be that loose? Has that worked for others here?

Chochobo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    not if u have carni-hands. then its about 3oz lol
    "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
    started @400+pounds
    CW: 191lbs 15%BF
    PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
    UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html