Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: more fat or less fat for weight loss? page

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member

more fat or less fat for weight loss?

ok ok ok i already know someone will say ive lost a LOT of weight in a very little time . and i have .. but im still pushing towards my goal .. i keep plateauing a lot lately ..

typically i eat eggs and bacon/sausage/some other meat for breakfast
    ground beef/chicken roasted/pork chops for lunch and dinner with veggies (coconut oil on the veggies)

as i lose more weight its obviously getting more difficult, but im trying to fine tune the machine that is my still very overweight body ...

are you guys finding more or less fat is helping you lose? or is this more personal? i definetely know people on each side of the fence, and it seemed when i added coconut oil the weight loss was a little better/faster ...

anyways, just thought i would start up a discussion ..

also, i noticed when i cut all fruit and nuts it goes quicker for me

idealy, i will get to a weight and be able to sustain with occasional fruit or nuts .. but not gain or lose ..
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    All other factors being equal (fruit intake, nut intake, etc etc) a diet higher in fat (and thus overall energy, or calories) would result in slower fat loss than a diet lower in fat.

I loooove fat, but I don't gorge on it.

The less I ever weighed happened after a month where I reduced how much fat I ate by doing a whole30. I assume you're familiar with the program, the only changes I had to make really was eliminate dairy, but the only dairy I was eating prior to that were butter and cream (high fat dairy sources) and cleaning up a bit of borderline paleo foods (mostly bacon and sausage, also high in fat).

I figure, if you're supplying your body with fat to use as energy, it won't feel the need to tap into its energy stores (your body fat) so a sensible cut-back on fat would be a good idea in my opinion. If you are moderate with the fat you currently eat, I would then just advise to avoid adding extra fat. No need to drown anything in butter, or cook everything in bacon fat, etc.

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by touchdowntodd View Post
    ok ok ok i already know someone will say ive lost a LOT of weight in a very little time . and i have .. but im still pushing towards my goal .. i keep plateauing a lot lately ..

typically i eat eggs and bacon/sausage/some other meat for breakfast
    ground beef/chicken roasted/pork chops for lunch and dinner with veggies (coconut oil on the veggies)
    as i lose more weight its obviously getting more difficult, but im trying to fine tune the machine that is my still very overweight body ...

are you guys finding more or less fat is helping you lose? or is this more personal? i definetely know people on each side of the fence, and it seemed when i added coconut oil the weight loss was a little better/faster ...

anyways, just thought i would start up a discussion ..

also, i noticed when i cut all fruit and nuts it goes quicker for me

idealy, i will get to a weight and be able to sustain with occasional fruit or nuts .. but not gain or lose ..
    I'm so glad you asked this question. I've lost 55 lbs. but I notice that I'm plateauing a lot too. A lot of people take coconut oil and it seems to speed up their weight loss. I also have a serious problem with excess skin. Could coconut oil help this too? How much and how often should I take the coconut oil?

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    I do best when my intake is about 50% fat, 35% Protein, and 15% Carbs (from veggies mostly). Most of my fat comes from the foods themselves, I don't add a whole lot. I do use coconut oil to cook with when I need a fat to cook with, I use coconut milk (from a can) in my tea. But I am not big on the idea that coconut oil has some incredible power to help weight loss, I happen to like the taste.

I have only lost about 30 pounds so far, and it has taken quite a while (with a few medical bumps along the way to slow things up), so you can take my advice with a grain of salt since you are losing more successfully than I am.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

id also like to figure out which veggies have the most carbs .. so i can avoid them .. i dont eat legumes, sugary fruit, etc already

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    I have lost weight previously by adding 1-2 tablespoons of healthy fats/day. Would this be too much a day? I hate measuring stuff/number crunching! lol

I do best when my intake is about 50% fat
    what equals 50 percent for you? How do you know the exact numbers?
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

I track my food daily (fitday.com) so that I can see what the trends are. If I am losing weight I can go back and duplicate the numbers, if I am gaining weight I can look and see what I need to change.

So my numbers for yesterday were...1,745 Calories, 116g Fat (59%), 60g Carbs (13%), 16g Fiber (44g Net Carb), 128g Protein (28%). I had a bit too much fat and a bit too little protein, but that is nit picky. I consider this close to an average day.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

always wondered where they got those charts! THANKS!

no clue on how to copy the chart over, but here is my day so far ... still no dinner but i dont think i will have any ,,, surprised how few carbs i eat

Grams Calories %-Cals
    Calories 885
    Fat 58.1 522 59 %
    Saturated 18.9 170 19 %
    Polyunsaturated 6.7 59 7 %
    Monounsaturated 25.2 226 26 %
    Carbohydrate 24.2 91 10 %
    Dietary Fiber 5.9
    Protein 66.7 272 31 %
    Alcohol 0.0 0 0 %

Fat (59%) Carbs (10%)
    Protein (31%) Alcohol (0%)

Description
    This pie chart shows the breakdown of your average daily calorie intake by fat, carbohydrate, protein and alcohol.
    More Info
    Calorie Pie Chart Report
    Calorie Balance Report

I needed more carbs because I just could not get over the carb flu when I did Very Low Carb. Also, didn't get enough fiber, and to top it off it did not help me to lose weight.

I truly believe we each have our own balance, and it is a moving target depending on many many factors (ie, gender, current weight, current body fat %, exercise, hormones, season, etc).

But for me if I am tracking it I can watch trends, because it is not going to be a single day that makes or breaks my progress.
    Chris
    Unknown

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You might try eating MORE carbs on random days. I'm not talking about a re-feed, I mean on a random day add sweet potato or such. Just here and there. Has pulled many of my friends out of stalls. Get into the 75-150 gram a day once in awhile. Primal carbs.

I am also not a supporter of slathering everything in fat. I think in the beginning it is crucial to get your body to using fat for energy but after that I am a stick with the fat in your food and the fat you cook with rather than gobbling it up. That allows your body to tap into your fat stores.

I am also not a gigantic proponent of doing the same thing everyday. Same # calories, same foods, same macros etc. Some days I eat 1200 calories and some days I eat 3000. I eat when I am hungry and until I am full.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast