Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning to maintain weight not easy page

trob1234 is offline Member

Learning to maintain weight not easy

Almost 2 years ago I was overweight and on a few meds. I turned 40 and decided to take control of my own life so I began a journey to heath and fitness. I lost just over 50 lbs in just 4 months time doing 1.5 hours of cardio everyday, eating low carb and low fat with just 1200 cals a day. I got off all my meds. I soon became very tired of the constant cardio and was hungry all the time. I became obsessed with food and bordered on an eating disorder if I didnt do something else. Due to my constant running I developed an injury that put me out of the running anyways so I found Paleo/primal. I was leaning more toward the paleo to start with lots of fruit, veggies and lean meats so I was still hungry all the time. Food was taking over my life. Now I am trying Primal with lots of protien, fat, veggies and very limited fruit. I seem to be doing ok but learning to just maintain my current weight just seems to be very hard. I am either losing or gaining. I am a stay at home wife and mom with just a teenage son at home now. I am trying to stick with just weight lifting a few days a week and one day of sprints. I also love to ride my bike from time to time. I am 42 yo female 5'6" weight goes up and down from 122 to 128. Last time I had my fat % checked by a personal trainer she said it was 18% but I was still running at that time. I feel like it is more like 20% by the way I look. Would love to hear from some who have gotten to their goal weight and learned to maintain. Oh and I have been primal on and off for 6 months and have been 80% for the last month. We have one night a week we go out to our favorite Mexican restaurant.
    Sorry so long and drawn out

Here I am when I started almost 2 years ago a size 14 at my daughters wedding

Here I am now a size 2

dado Guest
    wow!

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Fluctuating up and down a few pounds around your average weight is normal. It's not clear from your post whether you are going up and down because you notice your weight changing, and change your food intake to compensate, or whether it's just happening on its own without you making any effort.

If you are a healthy weight, and don't have issues with cravings, and your weight is going up and down by a few pounds all by itself, with no conscious effort on your part, there's nothing to worry about IMO. If what is happening is that you are "dieting" down that 6 pounds by changing your eating habits, and then as soon as you stop dieting, you regain the weight, rinse and repeat, there are a couple of things to consider.

Maybe 128 pounds is the "correct" weight for you? Maybe you are doing something your body doesn't want to do by going below that weight. Do you have any trouble maintaining a steady weight at 128 as opposed to 122? If so that's probably just your homeostasis. If you look and feel good at 128 there's no reason to stress it.

Otherwise, you just have to experiment to see what eating patterns seem to cause weight gain and avoid them. Everyone's a bit different.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Uncephalized

I think some of my problem is just as you described. I eat till satisfied for a while and my clothes get tight and I get scared so I tighten my belt so to speak and watch what I eat then my clothes start to look really baggy, I start having dizzy spells and my dh complains that my bones are sticking out again so I go back to eating till satisfied. I just can't find my sweet spot. I never want to get to that size again so I am so hard on myself. I know in my head that I need to tough it out and let my body adjust to eating this way and see if my weight will stabilize. I never had an issue with food before till I was put on meds for PCOS and I got fat. :-(

otzi Guest
    When you eat Mexican, do you have tortillas or nachos? Are you 100% wheat free? If I eat wheat or lots of corn, my weight jumps up 4-5lbs in 2 days, and takes 4-5 days to come back down. All water weight.

Otzi I am gluten intollerant but yes I do have nachos. Yes I have checked it and I usually gain 2 or so lbs of water from it and it goes down in a few days. I only panic when my weight stays up for over a week or two straight with no drop and my cloths get tight.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Get a grip woman!! Okay that was just said with the nicest of intentions - this is coming from someone who knows what its like to lose weight and then put it all back on again and some. Not that you have but are worried about it.

You look brilliant and won't get fat again. If you haven't already you should start weight lifting. Also don't eat the same everyday. You should cycle your calories and carbs. Just figure out your own way of eating good foods most of the time with a few cheats here and there. The up and down weight by a few pounds is normal. Just enjoy that new healthy body and have fun.

Maybe the constant dieting made you quite deficient in certain minerals etc and you need some supplementation. I would go to a naturopath.
    P.S. In your first pic you look like the mum and then in the second pic the daughter!!

Thanks Sue, I know I need to get a grip and I am really trying :-) Before my diet was so horrible, 6 sodas a day and so much junk for food. Now that I eat whole natural food and haven't had a soda in 1.5 years I need to learn that by eating good natural food that my weight should stabilize. I do weight lift and love my little muscles. I do need to learn to cycle my calories and will work on that. I tend to eat the same thing daily till I get sick of it and change up and I know except for my one day a week I allow myself some indulgence I pretty much eat the same amount of calories.

Also I know if you have ever been there you will understand my next statement. I will be so glad when my brain catches up with my body, when I look in the mirror I still see that fat person. It is only in pictures that I truly see what other people see. I was slim all my life till a few years ago so It is a new thing for me to deal with. I never understood or sympathized with others dealing with it till now.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    You've definitely come a long way. Re still seeing yourself as fat - some type of counselling may help or some of those self-improvement CDs that you can listen to. They may help to change the perception you have of yourself.

smashtime is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am also having problems maintaining my weight. I lost 15lbs total from working out 5 times a week, and just eating Primal foods, but not strictly via the primal blueprint. I have been properly primal for a week, and weighed myself today and have gained 2lbs or so. I think its muscle but i'm just worried that its fat, despite keeping track of all my macronutrient ratios and total calroies.

Any help ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast