Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intolerance to fatty foods new to Paleo page

PeaceCorpsCaveMan is offline Senior Member

Intolerance to fatty foods new to Paleo

Primal Fuel
    I am working with a malnourished Guatemalan family who subsist primarily on wheat, corn, beans, and sugar. An obese father with bad intestinal problems and arthritis, a type 1 diabetic overweight mother, and an overweight 12 and 14 year old boy and girl who are failing classes. The father explained to me that he can't understand why they're falling apart at 40 years old and going broke from medical bills when his grandmother lived to be 105 and never once saw the inside of a hospital. I'm starting to counsel them on how to eat more paleo.

The father claims that when he eats fat his stomach becomes rapidly irritated and can cause diarrhea. He cited this happening mostly with pork lard and animal fats, but he seems to have more of a tolerance to chicken fat and vegetable oil. I advised him to go ahead and eat a higher protein and higher vegetable diet and add in as much quality fats as possible, increasing the amount as he gets used to it.

Could this just be an adjustment phase thing for a very damaged body or is it possible he has a more serious problem with his intestines or gall bladder?
    Last edited by PeaceCorpsCaveMan; 11-07-2011 at 05:19 AM.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am very sensitive to fats, and some fats are Okay with me, and some just make me sick. Fried bacon or fried chicken or butter can give me nausea and upset stomach. That's why I go Paleo rather than Primal. He can eat paleo, which is actually quite low fat. It is Primal that is high in fat. How does he cook his meats that his stomach gets irritated? Is he frying them with huge amounts of oil or butter or cream or something like that? Does he spice it excessively? Is just broiling or boiling meat as is, under broiler solves the problem?
    Last edited by Leida; 11-07-2011 at 05:22 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

dado Guest
    it's that peasant superstition.

i wouldn't waste the time with these people.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=dado;618677]it's that peasant superstition.

i wouldn't waste the time with these people.[/QUOT

Stop with these non-contributions.

Have him eat the fat he likes (not the veggie oil if it can be helped) but I think tons of vegetables (for $$ sake) plus as many good proteins as they can get is going to help this family a lot.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    How about eggs, avocados, raw nuts....how does he do with things like that?
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

dado Guest
    [QUOTE=iniQuity;618697]
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    it's that peasant superstition.

i wouldn't waste the time with these people.[/QUOT

Stop with these non-contributions.

Have him eat the fat he likes (not the veggie oil if it can be helped) but I think tons of vegetables (for $$ sake) plus as many good proteins as they can get is going to help this family a lot.
    How is this a non-contribution?

It's a waste of time, always, to attempt to help people that can't help themselves. The average IQ of Guatamala is in the low 80s.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Wow, what a racist pig you are.

You'd think that YOUR I.Q. was in the low 20's for even posting something like that.

Great job.

Aili is offline Senior Member
    I have a lot of experience with Guatemalan folks, ordinary folks in rural communities. I would not describe them in such a negative way, ever, and they certainly are not a waste of time.

dado Guest
    Maybe that sounded harsh. But having a low IQ is not describing anyone in a negative way, that's just biology. I am just saying that it is very hard to talk to people with deeply rooted peasant superstitions; I should know, I come from stubborn peasants myself, a couple generations ago.

PeaceCorpsCaveMan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I am very sensitive to fats, and some fats are Okay with me, and some just make me sick. Fried bacon or fried chicken or butter can give me nausea and upset stomach. That's why I go Paleo rather than Primal. He can eat paleo, which is actually quite low fat. It is Primal that is high in fat. How does he cook his meats that his stomach gets irritated? Is he frying them with huge amounts of oil or butter or cream or something like that? Does he spice it excessively? Is just broiling or boiling meat as is, under broiler solves the problem?
    He avoids fats and oils as much as possible except for a few eggs a week, some vegetable oil, and whatever fat is in the approximately 4 oz daily portion of lean meat. The meat is generally boiled in soup, if present at all.

I'm not sure if I agree with that distinction between Paleo and Primal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast