Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A return and a question. page

JohnOTD is offline Member

A return and a question.

It's been quite a while since I've been online. I fell off the wagon big time and have had a lot of major changes in my life.

I was living the primal lifestyle for 3 or 4 months back when I posted here a lot. I lost a good amount of body fat and was even noticing some muscle development which was a new thing as I was very sedentary in high school.

The last time I was here, I was living in the U.S. Virgin Islands as a bachelor. I'm now in Florida, married to the most wonderful woman I've ever met and about to have a baby boy (due date is Thanksgiving day!).

I stopped living primally because the fridge at my place in st. croix broke and I had to eat out for 2 weeks until it was fixed. By the time it was fixed I was too lazy to care anymore. By the time I cared again, my (now) wife and I were living together and she was not on board. Now that we're in Florida and our boy is almost out, she's decided she's willing to give the 21 day jump start a shot once she recovers from the birth and is passed the intense cravings. I can't begin to tell you how excited I am!

This brings me to the question part of this posts. We're interested in disaster preparedness, not as in "the zombies are coming!" but more along the lines of being prepared for a possible job loss in this economy (I'm the only income earner, which is how we both want it to be) or a natural disaster that disrupts services like electric and water.

We think having a 3 to 6 month supply of fresh water and non-perishable food is a good idea. The problem is, I don't know how to stock that much food that would fit primal criteria. The only way to make stocking like that worth it under any circumstances is to use it even if nothing happens and just replace as you go.

Any thoughts on how to get a 3-6 month stock of primal food?

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    congratulations and congratulations.

i'm sorry that i cannot answer your questions.

(though, i would recommend learning to forage, as you would get a good deal of free, fresh, and primal foods this way.

Thanks for the reply Zoebird! Foraging is a great idea!

My wife and I dream of getting an acre or two somewhere and farming. We want to practice permaculture and grow only veggies, berries, nuts and raise some chickens and rabbits. No grains or legumes. Once we get to that point we'll jar, can and preserve. We also want to homeschool and start a small woodworking business that I'll run and a handmade soap/lotion business that she'll run by making essential oils from things we grow. We're pretty damn...well, what's the primal equivalent of granola?

Of course that's a long way off, so self sufficiency has to come from storing until then.

i would recommend guinea pigs as well as rabbits -- as the food is good. you might also consider ducks, which raise like chickens as well. A lot of small permaculturists here do that. Some will do miniature goats as well (for cheese and butter), but that's not always necessary.

Darbyfett is offline Member
    You could always get into canning and jarring now. Buy some extra veggies every grocery trip and tuck them away with your water.

Thanks darby. Any suggestions on where to start with info on canning?
    www.primalfreedom.blogspot.com

If a man has the right to self-ownership, to the control of his life, then in the real world he must also have the right to sustain his life by grappling with and transforming resources; he must be able to own the ground and the resources on which he stands and which he must use. In short, to sustain his human right. - Murray Rothbard

Darbyfett is offline Member
    The Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving and Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving (I don't know how much of a difference there is) seem to be the beginning books to get. I know very little myself, I plan on getting into it simply because my love of pickles and to go off from there.

Oh yeah, just so everyone is aware, I'll be using the suggestions here to write a post for an upcoming blog that deals with disaster/disruption preparedness.

tapper47 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnOTD View Post
    Thanks for the reply Zoebird! Foraging is a great idea!

My wife and I dream of getting an acre or two somewhere and farming. We want to practice permaculture and grow only veggies, berries, nuts and raise some chickens and rabbits. No grains or legumes. Once we get to that point we'll jar, can and preserve. We also want to homeschool and start a small woodworking business that I'll run and a handmade soap/lotion business that she'll run by making essential oils from things we grow. We're pretty damn...well, what's the primal equivalent of granola?

Of course that's a long way off, so self sufficiency has to come from storing until then.
    Home

Freeze Dry Guy is your source for survival food in an uncertain world.

Freeze Dry Guy offers a wide selection of ready-to-eat Freeze Dried food – individually packaged Freeze Dried entrees, meats, vegetables and fruits. Our tasty Freeze Dried meals include a selection of meat choices including beef, chicken, and pork, and vegetarian, gluten-free, low sodium beef, chicken, and pork. We have helped families with food security and emergency preparedness for over 41 years. Let us help you today to build food security for your family.
    Freeze Dry Guy -Trust the best for:

• Finest quality of Freeze Dried & Dehydrated foods availible
    • Great taste and guaranteed nutrition
    • Best prices and customer service
    • Wide selection of preparedness items for peace of mind
    • Over 41 years as an industry leader in preparedness
    • Made in USA – 100% US Owned & Operated
    • We support our troops!
    • Free Shipping to the lower 48 states

This site actually sells freeze dried meat with a shelf life of almost forever.

I know this guy but I have no connection with him and his business.
    Last edited by tapper47; 11-07-2011 at 06:57 AM. Reason: clarify

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast