Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HOW LONG did it take you to fully convert to paleo diet? page 2

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    100% day one .. no regrets
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

otzi Guest
    I gave up sugar and flour right away and have been off it for almost 1 year. Within 2 months I had given up vegetable oil, corn, and other grains. After 3-4 months I was down to very little fruit and dairy. Each change made a big difference.

Tawny is offline Senior Member
    I started a year ago in September, but have had several set-backs. Last Thanksgiving/Christmas time I made a rule that I would only eat homemade treats...I stuck to it, but eating the sugar and flour was not helpful. I got back on plan in January, stuck pretty strictly until June (with some occasional ups and downs) and had a hard time staying on track over the summer. I've been strictly primal with minimal dairy (not quite paleo) for six weeks now. I don't have cravings when I'm on plan, but I do have ideas that I might like to have just one chocolate chip cookie or one slice of chocolate cake. If I follow that idea, I then experience cravings and have to fight to get back. It's a process for me - I'm discovering that a piece of 85% chocolate or a couple of dried figs is more delicious than a handful of Oreos, but as I discovered this weekend, I need to be careful of the figs.
    So, to answer your question, I was fully converted to primal in the first week, but I'm still working on staying fully primal.

CSilivestru is offline Member
    Going from 250 - 300 grams of carbs a day down to 100 - 150 will be a huge shock to your system. Basically if you're not 100% convinced on the benefits, you may never truly make the transition because (most) people will fulfill their cravings to a certain extent.

I came from the Abs Diet before going paleo and now primal and it took me about 4 weeks to fully switch over. I was crossfitting and notice huge hurdles during the first 3 weeks (completely exhausted after workouts -- to the point where I had trouble functioning afterwards) and general tiredness. This is, of course, the carb flu so I knew to stick it out. But I've been doing it for 2 years and people simply don't believe that I don't crave sweet things!

I wish it could just be a simple switch but you'll have a few bad weeks before your body figures out what to do.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    It took a few weeks for me to imagine life without pasta. I remember that first week thinking, "Oh god. What are we going to do for dinner?" And then we got into the rhythm of meat + side (salad, steamed vegetable, yams if I'm feeling carby) and now it's like, "Oh god. Why did I ever bother boiling that water and waiting for that damn pasta to cook?"

I came from a family that always portioned meals into a protein, a vegetable, and a starch, and a lot of the work for me was breaking out of that. My meals looked so...lopsided for a while. Now I know that a 3/4 lb steak is going to fill me up fine, and the salad is good, but mainly just zesty micronutrient garnish.

I think breakfast is actually the most difficult meal...for my husband. I have never been married to a traditional breakfast, but I married a traditional breakfast-eater. He loves eggs, and he loves carby things with his eggs (toast, pancakes, waffles). I make him eggs and some sort of protein every morning, and the vegetables are optional. Me, I just grab a leftover anymore. The only way I seem to like eggs in quantity anymore is slo-o-o-wly scrambled until they're creamy. And I just don't have time for that on weekdays.

Some of it is absolutely psychological. Reprogramming your brain to not stick to the standard dinner/lunch/breakfast format is the first step. Some of it is hormonal/physical. The cravings really do go away if you don't cave. After a while, the lack of grains become ingrained (hurf durf) and you either see them as off limits, or only an occasional treat. It's weird, and I was totally skeptical, but lo -- it happens. I -- the family baker, she who loves all things bready -- am proof.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    took a week to get the house clear, and a good two weeks to "learn the ropes" for us.

activia is offline Senior Member
    I was a huge carb/sugar eater prior, but also had an additional motivation of wanting to lose weight for my wedding. I started on Slow Carb.. WHich included beans/excluded dairy & fruit and had one massive cheat day a week and nothing specific about oils. The cheat day did nothing but make me crave the stuff I was suppose to be leaving behind every week, and didnt force me to try and figure out other things that I might like instead of just eating the same stuff that I only sort of enjoyed. I then switched to primal (thank god) took off the beans (which I hated), and added back some cheese and fruit. That's when I finally figured out how to eat and what to cook and really switched mindsets. I switched up the cooking oils. I was pretty strict, didnt cheat except on some salad oils for several weeks at a time (once every 6 weeks I probably had one small thing like a piece of bridal shower cake). Then after 3 months I signed up for my first meat CSA and started going to farmers markets. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I finally started making my own salad dressing/mayo to rid myself of the last of the oils (I'm into it with 6 months). I did fall off the wagon for a week or so on my honeymoon, but when I got back home I went right back to it..with a kitchen full of primal food it wasnt that hard.

Now I get sick when I eat non-primal food for the most part so it makes it less appetizing. My tastes are also changing and the old food doesnt even taste that good anymore the rare occasions when I do have it. It's making it way easier. I had a tough physical transformation as my body craved carbs for MONTHS and I really struggled but stayed really tough. The psychological switch takes longer...but the longer I'm primal the easier it is, and the more change I see physically and psychologically. The cravings are far and few between and a little fruit usually does the trick.

PoeticPixe is offline Member
    A few weeks...
    Sleep is the best meditation.
    - H.H. 14th Dalai Lama

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    A few days to start feeling good instead of blah while switching over to eating more fat.

A few weeks to stop craving bread and pasta constantly.

A few months to stop craving cold sweet things like ice cream all the time.

Maybe 6 months to get so used to eating this way that it feels "normal".

Going on a year and a half and I still binge on sugar every once in a while, but my compliance is more like 98% now. Even my overboard days tend to be overindulging in Primal food (Dubliner cheese, dark chocolate, and frozen berries, YUM).
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Pheebie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Some of it is absolutely psychological. Reprogramming your brain to not stick to the standard dinner/lunch/breakfast format is the first step. Some of it is hormonal/physical. The cravings really do go away if you don't cave. After a while, the lack of grains become ingrained (hurf durf) and you either see them as off limits, or only an occasional treat. It's weird, and I was totally skeptical, but lo -- it happens. I -- the family baker, she who loves all things bready -- am proof.
    This is so true ~ and I'm the baker in our house as well. When I discovered PB, I thought, "I'll give this a shot, but there's no WAY I'm giving up pasta, bread, crackers, cookies . . . " That was a year ago. I've gone "off primal" twice for weeks at a stretch each time . . . and felt crappy. Now I enjoy the constant energy level; an appetite that comes on gradually; not getting "the hunger shakes"; and feeling lean and lithe. (Side note ~ I didn't need to lose weight when I started, but I can absoultely see and feel a difference when I over-indulge. That alone sends me running back to PB!)
    My husband was skeptical and he's not as primal as I am, but he says he notices a differnce too if he eats grains or too much of an 'indulgence' food. One day I'll get him to give up his beloved Sunday morning waffles . . .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast