Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Careers and other mad 20th century inventions page

thaijinx is offline Senior Member

Careers and other mad 20th century inventions

Primal Fuel
    ‎"Careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one." ~ Christopher McCandless

“As long as habit and routine dictate the pattern of living, new dimensions of the soul will not emerge.” ~ Henry Van Dyke

I love these quotes. A career is nothing more than modern slavery. No freedom to play, to be free, to invent... just mind-blowing boredom in order to pay the bills. Not that I'm against hard work, I'm just against the binding regulation of doing it on someone elses' terms. Why should I do this activity from 9 - 5 pm? Why not 10 - 3 pm? Or 12 - 8pm? Why do you only deign to give me 2 days off a week? Why not 3? or 4? Why not when I choose to take them?

Other than Debt, I think 'career' represents the worst of the worst, in terms of utterly MAD 20th century inventions.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Really? We're going to take something seriously that came from a guy that didn't learn proper survival techniques before he decided to go off to frakking Alaska, to survive on his own?

Blacksmith was a career, fletching was a career, cooper was a career, merchant was a career, etc...
    Last edited by kenn; 11-06-2011 at 08:41 PM.
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    What are you going to do about it?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

VeloCity.X is offline Senior Member
    Now if you want to throw in Jared Diamond's quote of agriculture being "the worst mistake in the history of the human race", I think you might be on to something. But McCandless? Rebelling against a middle class background and dead from a combination of hubris and nostalgia for some paleo-fantasy lifestyle. I'm with kenn on this one.

Look, I can certainly understand the desire, and it is a compelling image, but you best believe that hunter-gatherer Grok lifestyle was a career and those folks spent a lifetime learning and perfecting the skills to survive. Life may not have been 'nasty, brutish, and short' but I'm sure they thought and worked damned hard and knew that a seemingly small slip-up - injury, illness, drought, poor hunt, etc. - could cause serious or fatal problems for themselves and the rest of their group.

I'd look more to Les Stroud, Cody Lundin, and Dick Proenneke for my inspiration than Chris McCandless.
    Last edited by VeloCity.X; 11-06-2011 at 09:05 PM. Reason: spelling
    Trying a journal. We'll see how long that lasts....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37152.html

Darbyfett is offline Member
    Yes, Dick Proenneke is one of my heroes.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i like the guy, honestly.

anyway, i have a career and i love it.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    Really? We're going to take something seriously that came from a guy that didn't learn proper survival techniques before he decided to go off to frakking Alaska, to survive on his own?

Blacksmith was a career, fletching was a career, cooper was a career, merchant was a career, etc...
    Just because the man was blinded by his ideals, that doesn't mean his ideals were in the wrong place.

Being a blacksmith in the middle ages was not a clock in and clock out job. Being a hunter for game for your tribe was not a clock in and out job. I think the main points are not that you have a duty, but that you feel the duty controls you and for what? Secondly, you might feel the duty has no value.

Like Grumpy said, what are you going to do about it? I don't think you can save everybody. If you see things as you say, find a way to live in this day and age that makes you happy. Maybe you get a job that's flexible, maybe you get a job that involves doing things you ACTUALLY enjoy, or maybe you find it possible to get by on less money and do more with what you have. Maybe you even find a way to become independent of money & produce all your stuff for yourself (and maybe trade for a few things).
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 11-07-2011 at 12:51 AM.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    You find me a way I can live without having to pay bills and buy groceries and I'm all for not having a career. I always hear about people who go to other countries to do volunteer work for years at a time and wonder how they afford to do that. I'm guessing they were all trust fund babies
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    What are you going to do about it?
    Go off the map?

Off the Map (2003) - IMDb
    Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Darbyfett View Post
    Yes, Dick Proenneke is one of my heroes.
    This. He did it properly. McCandless was an idiot. A beautiful dreamer, sure, but an absolute idiot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast