Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sugar in my salt?! page

jkilbane is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I've been lurking here for a while, but I just came across something so frustrating that I needed to join and post.

For those who use the iconic Morton's salt AND/OR sea salt, stop. It has dextrose on the ingredients list. also, I'd avoid the salt shakers at all restaurants seeing as they probably use Morton's brand. I never thought my salt would have anything other than salt (or iodine) in it. I'm sure most people have switched to kosher or sea salt, but I just thought I'd share.

Diane Guest

I also found that where there's salt, there's sugar. It seems like they are both used because they tend to balance flavors with each other in many dishes. I don't do boxed or can goods, but I can tell when they add sugar to my food in restaurants.

primalmom is offline Member

sea salt ... that is so lame about the dextrose !!!

PrimalMom
    Check out my new blog at http://primalmom.blogspot.com

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Seriously! I'm going to bring my extra salt grinder to work because all we have is the mortons, and just the consistency seems weird to me now after grinding pure sea salt.

Diane, that's one of the reasons I don't eat out much anymore either (or buy boxed or canned "food"): since restaurants put sugar in EVERYTHING it means they also have to oversalt to compensate. Hence the outrageous sodium levels in restaurant food. You'd think they could just stop adding sugar to every dish and start using more spices than just salt...oh well, cooking at home is better and cheaper anyway

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

This sucks! I never realized this. Lately I've been sticking with Hain's sea salt or Kosher rock salt for cooking.

maba is offline Senior Member

I looked for sea salt at the grocery store the other day but ALL of them had some additive or other (like anti-caking agents...) Will look for Celtic sea salt in my local co-op.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Chill out! Stop acting like a headless chicken(s). For Pete's sake, how much dextrose do you think is in that serving of salt? Almost zip-ola! That's why it's way down near or at the end of the list of ingredients.

As I've tried to point out here, it is not just WHAT, it is HOW MUCH. There isn't even enough dextrose to show up (as carbohydrate)in the nutritional analysis for a CUP of salt. Eaten that much lately?

Dextrose is a form of glucose, just like you might get eating a piece of fruit.

And why are you salting your food anyway?

Get a grip...........

You know what OTB, some people care about all the extra stuff in packaged foods. I generally try not to let myself be irked by you, but you have got to stop being so condescending about what other people care about. You may not be worried about the trace amounts of this chemical or that chemical that winds up in your body, and you've clearly demonstrated in other threads that you follow your own idea of PB with a focus on weightloss rather than the idea as a whole. All the way down to eating whole, minimally processed foods, and grass fed and pastured animals from local sources. It is rude of you to be so demeaning when not having unnecessarily added ingredients is important to some of us. Real salt is gathered from the earth with no processing involved other than breaking it up and putting it in a container, and that has value to a lot of people. Just because it has no value to you doesn't give you permission to tell us to "get a grip."

You are what you eat,

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Fine hannahc, but don't confuse emotion with ration and pretend the former is the latter.

Yes, that mode of "thinking" does drive me absolutely nuts. It's not a difference of opinion of quantifiable fact with a reaction. Should I affirm such fears? Should I just nod when someone says the earth is flat? I think not.

A few micrograms of dextrose in salt - which if you are primal you aren't adding anyway - is NOT going to hurt ANYone. To think otherwise elevates the dextrose to the same as eating a pound of arsenic or something. There are more important and less important things to be concerned about, scientifically, rationally, but not emotionally. No?

And dextrose is not one to not be concerned about.

You can have the last word if you want, because I can only assume that you somehow need to, but this has nothing to do with emotion taking the place of rational thinking. That is another example of your demeaning and condescending attitude towards people who hold different values and opinions than you do. It's completely rational to make a decision to buy minimally processed foods. I have no emotion about sea salt. It doesn't make me happy or sad or angry. I think it is unnecessary for there to be any ingredients other than salt in my salt. I believe that restaurants, as a whole, use too much salt and sugar in the meals they prepare, as compared to the meals that many people make in their own homes. I would like to bring my own sea salt to work to lightly salt my hard boiled eggs. Emotional? Not a bit. My own thoughts and opinions? Completely. Why are your "rational" thoughts better than anyone else's? Why do you put "thinking" in quotations as if we aren't actually "thinking" at all? You don't have to care about the dextrose in your salt, but stop talking down to other people because they do. Just because we don't value the same qualities in the foods we choose to buy and consume doesn't mean our thoughts and opinions aren't as valid as yours. You can present your ideas in any conversation, because that's what these forums are for, but the sarcasm and rudeness, such as "Chill out!" and "Get a grip..." are completely unnecessary.

You are what you eat,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast