Thread: Why does lettuce make me burp/get indigestion? page

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member

Why does lettuce make me burp/get indigestion?

Primal Fuel
    Ok. I've noticed something annoying. Lettuce gives me indigestion. Mild indigestion but nonetheless it's very annoying. If I eat a big salad that is lettuce based for the greens I spend the next 30 min to an hour (and sometimes more) with a weird feeling stomach and constantly burping.

I have NOT noticed this when eating salads that are based off of spinach, kale or even baby lettuce greens.

Its definitely worse if my salad does not have enough fat on it but like I said it doesn't seem to happen (although I still need to objectively test this!) if I use other greens regardless of the amount of fat on those salads.

Anyone else experienced this? Anyone have any idea why? I hate to give up eating lettuces because I like the crunch but frankly I just feel too weird after eating it. And it bugs me that I don't know why!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    What kind of lettuce does it? Romaine, red leaf, iceberg, etc? I could see if romaine gave you indigestion because it's extremely fibrous and full of nutrients, but I'd be stunned if iceberg lettuce gave you issues since it's pretty much just water.

Kale and spinach are cruciferous vegetables (crucifer family) like broccoli, cabbage, mustard, rapini, bok choy and the like, so it's in a different family than lettuce even though they look similar AFAIK. Maybe I'm wrong, but it would explain why kale and spinach are a non-issue as they're related to each other but not lettuce. Don't let the "leafy greens" thing fool you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruciferous_vegetables
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 11-06-2011 at 08:23 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Aloe is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    What kind of lettuce does it? Romaine, red leaf, iceberg, etc? I could see if romaine gave you indigestion because it's extremely fibrous and full of nutrients, but I'd be stunned if iceberg lettuce gave you issues since it's pretty much just water.

Kale and spinach are cruciferous vegetables (crucifer family) like broccoli, cabbage, mustard, rapini, bok choy and the like, so it's in a different family than lettuce even though they look similar AFAIK. Maybe I'm wrong, but it would explain why kale and spinach are a non-issue as they're related to each other but not lettuce. Don't let the "leafy greens" thing fool you.

Cruciferous vegetables - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thank you! That explains why the bf has problems with lettuce and not with any of the cruciferous veggies.
    Height: 5ft 9"
    Current pants size: 20 (Canada sizing).
    Goal: I'll let you know when I've reached it.

“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind
    is a faithful servant. We have created a society that
    honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.”
    ~Albert Einstein~

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Right. I think I knew that about the lettuces vs cruciferous greens. But I think I forgot!

As far as which lettuces? All of them. Well I don't eat iceburg but all the others.