Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice - TOMS Shoes. File Under "White Girl Problems" page

primaLeaf is offline Senior Member

Need Advice - TOMS Shoes. File Under "White Girl Problems"

Primal Fuel
    So I started wearing Vibrams last May and wore either those or my TOMS to the exclusion of all other forms of footwear.
    My walking style changed and I was moving along all Grok-like and dandy BUT... then it started to get cold.
    I dusted off my knock-off Ugg boots and pulled them on, only to discover that walking in them is possibly the most annoying experience ever. [I did warn that this was a #whitegirlproblem]
    ANYWHO, aside from my Vibrams, I have a pair of standard TOMS slip-ons, and the sole on those is so minimal that I find them comfortable to walk in. I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with these:
    Botas - Khaki Suede Women's Desert Botas | TOMS.com
    I can't tell if the sole is thicker on the boots than on the standard slip-ons - anyone have any experience? It seems like these might be a nice winter compromise.
    Thanks for your help!

spughy is offline Senior Member
    I looked at these when I was looking for boots and yes, the sole is thicker and not as bendy. Bummer. I eventually ended up spending lots on a pair of DKNY boots that have a surprisingly flexible, thin sole and no heel rise. Once I took the insole out, they were perfect. They're knee-high black leather though so they might not fit your personal style.

MadelynMc is offline Senior Member
    What about these? They look pretty sweet...

TOMS Boots: Wrap Boots | TOMS.com

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Oooo those are a little too "mummy-eque" for me, but they are definitely cool. My immediate issue is that there is a mention of arch support in the description.

What's the big deal with TOMS? I see a lot of "vegan" stuff, but they don't look particularly minimal esp. with the narrow toes & arch support.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

RenegadeRN is offline Member

First pair of Vibrams!

I just bought my first pair of Vibrams yesterday. Only went to try on but they felt so darn good I couldn't leave them at the store!
    I bought the sock to go with them for colder weather, but I guess winter in Ma. is alot different than winter in south Tx. ....
    On breaking out of the healthcare box..."Box? What box? Take cover, it's gonna get ugly... "

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post

What's the big deal with TOMS? I see a lot of "vegan" stuff, but they don't look particularly minimal esp. with the narrow toes & arch support.
    I think the main thing with TOMS is that when you buy a pair they give a needy child a pair of shoes, so it's feel-good consumerism
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    those are awesome, but i can't sew to save my life. no seriously, if i was -- like -- in a saw movie or something, all the guy would have to do is be all creepy like 'sew these simple shoes or DIE!" and i'd just go, ok, die then, because i can't sew.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    hello, zoebird. would you like to play a game?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

primaLeaf is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    RE: "the big deal with TOMS"

totally agree with lucyh, there is a great deal of feel-good consumerism, and you're right about them not being the most minimal shoes.
    personally though, any degree of feel-good that i might have gleaned in providing poor children with shoes was canceled out by the article i read a while back mentioning that the founder is not such a fan of the gays.

politics aside, basically i like them because they are flexible enough that I can walk properly in them AND they lack the ostentatious factor of the vibrams. don't get me wrong, i love my V5s, but, echoing a sentiment i've seen others express around the forum, sometimes you just want to go out and not be "the shoe guy."

all of that aside, my main goal is to find some acceptably minimal shoes (read "not clunking around and tripping over myself in an effort to avoid the dreaded heel strike") that are also relatively warm and/or accommodating of thick-ish socks.

currently taking these under consideration, for anyone on a similar hunt:
    Womens - Airwalk - Frosty Moc - Payless Shoes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast