Thread: Primal Journal-al09 page

al09 is offline Senior Member

Post Primal Journal-al09

Primal Fuel
    Welp, I'm starting a journal. I've never been much of a journal keeper, but I'm hoping this will be a little different.

A few things about me:
    I'm a girl
    I'm 26
    I'm a grad student (aka stressed)
    I have a history of ED (not erectile dysfunction)
    I have SIBO and came to the primal way of eating through the Specific Carbohydrate Diet....it's been an amazing improvement!

I'm hoping this journal will help me be accountable for the choices I make, and help me track progress regarding my food/fitness/recovery goals. I'll probably use it to record meals, workouts, and complain Well, I'll try not to complain too much, but I can't make any promises. My main goal right now is to end the vicious cycle of binging and purging. It hasn't been easy so far, but I'm determined.

That's all for now because it's time for sleep!! Talk about primal

Smile

I feel like I should talk a little about my current goals and experience with PB since I didn't cover that yesterday in my first post. I found PB after being on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet for 10 months. After reading many articles on MDA, I made the switch (purposely increased fats and decreased starchy veg....I was eating LOTS of squash and fruit, and was always hungry) and felt better immediately. I was no longer a crazy bitch the second I got hungry, and I could go for longer periods of time without needing food. It was great! I should also mention that I started the SCD after having "IBS" symptoms for years. I put IBS in quotes because that was a million Dr's told me I had....even though my symptoms didn't fit. They didn't know what to do with me, so IBS it was. For about 9 years. Long story short, I did a ton of research and came to SCD myself, tried it, and felt a million times better. It was a big change for me because I had been vegan/vegetarian for years. Ha....look at me now!!! So yea, PB has been awesome. it makes sense and I feel like I got my life back. No longer chained to the toilet!! Well....sometimes I still am, but now as much as I was Too soon for bathroom talk? Sorry.

Anyway, I've also incorporated PBF into my routine, and pretty much stopped running (which was my main exercise forever). Now I do the body weight exercises, walk, jog if I feel like it, and yoga. Love yoga. I also just bought a pull-up bar because I want to be able to crank out tons of pull-ups!!! Since going primal I've lost a bit of weight, but mostly my body comp changed. I'd like it to continue to change, and lean out a bit...but I'm trying more to focus on how I feel instead of how I look, because I also have a history of ED, specifically bulimia. I'm also currently a bit depressed and the combo hasn't been so hot. I've had a rough few years....lots of moves, an intense break up, started grad school. So my therapist put me on Prozac, but I'm going to get off it and try the Diet Cure Protocol.

If you're still reading, I'm totally impressed! I'm going to stop for now and get to my day:

Today wasn't so hot food wise. I definitely ate more dairy and nuts than I should have, and now my tum is definitely not happy with me I'm also having some killer chocolate/sweet cravings too, which I really can't stand. I didn't get any real exercise in today either, but I was strangely hungry ALL day.

B-coffee (black)
    -sardines and a bowl of frozen veggies with a little butter

L-2 eggs, 2 pieces of bacon, small amt of broccoli with a little butter

S-greek yogurt (store only had 0%...ugh! I wanted at least 2%!), with 2oz slivered almonds mixed in
    -coffee with 1/2 & 1/2

D- 1/2 zucchini sauteed in 1tsp coconut oil w/
    -5oz Piedmontese beef (yum!) and
    -handful of Trader Joe's mixed southern greens

S- unsweetened applesauce with cocoa powder
    - herbal tea

I also took 4,000 IU vitamin D.

My mood today was also kind of crappy, but better than yesterday. Yesterday was terrible.

Oh I should probably mention my stats:
    Height- 5ft 6in
    Weight -somewhere between 120-123
    I don't really have a goal weight, I have a goal "look" or "feeling" I guess...and I know I'm not there yet

Well today was alright. Pretty good food wise, although I kind of discovered pork rinds They were tasty though, don't think I'll make them an "all the time" thing. Also got to do PBF today AND for for a little jog! In shorts! In November! Definite win

B-2 eggs, 2 Trader Joe's chicken hot dogs, handful of greens, sauteed in 1 tsp coconut oil
    S- pork rinds
    S- 3 little pumpkin muffins made with coconut flour....freakin delish
    D- piedmontese beef, zucchini, onions, and greens sauteed in 2 tsp coconut oil
    S- applesauce, coconut milk, cocoa concoction, few more rinds

I don't usually snack this much, and I especially try not to at night, but my roommate made this chocolate/pretzel thing and I was trying to compensate. It's so strange, part of me knows I don't want to eat that crap (I swear she is the poster child for SAD, it's gross), but the other part of me just wants some freakin chocolate! I know dark chocolate is primal, and I do indulge sometimes (hence the cocoa), but I always have severe chocolate guilt because according to the Specific Carb Diet chocolate is "illegal". What I need to do is eat some and seriously assess how it effects ME, and see if it's something I can eat once in a while without suffering, not rule it out because someone else says it's "illegal". Welcome to my ED brain.

I'm definitely not looking forward to being around her little treats all day tomorrow. I've been struggling a bit lately and having her crap food around does not make it any better. I would LOVE to have my own place *sigh*.

Does anybody have any recommendations for fish oil or omega 3 supplements? I've read that NOW DHA 500 is a good one because there should be more DHA than EPA....but the whole topic is a bit fuzzy for me still.