Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: would you see a chiripractor? page

invisible is offline Junior Member

would you see a chiripractor?

Primal Fuel
    I've had intense neck and shoulder pain and headaches for years. It has always felt like the pain originated in the neck and then radiated out to the head and shoulders. Doctors have been less than helpful over the years - for various reasons I guess. One reason is that I have a 40 degree curve in my lower spine so they jump to the conclusion the pain is related to that and say there's nothing that can be done about it.

Then about a year ago a doctor ordered xrays of my back and neck - it was all very strange because she looked at my xrays for a while muttering "hmmm, interesting" but never measured the cobb angle. She handed the xrays back to me and said something (I thought) about a lack of lumbar curve (I may have misunderstood) but said everything was fine and no action needed. Today I stumbled across the xrays again whilst cleaning up and noticed something very odd about the xrays of my neck. My neck in the xrays is so straight (from both left and right side) that you can pretty much run a ruler straight up through the middle of all the vertebrae.

I got online and looked up a neutral neck position and looked into straight neck and it turns out this is called "military neck" and is a form of cervical kyphosis - if the information is accurate. I'm sitting here confused wondering why the doctor didn't think it might be contributing to my neck pain. Now I'm wondering if I should pursue "correction" of this condition. And I'm wondering firstly if chiropractors are/can be safe in treating this sort of condition? And secondly, has anyone else had this condition, had it treated and experienced pain relief?

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    A really good chiro is safe. Emphasis on the "good". They will assess you and determine what needs to be adjusted. Ask people in your area who they recommend.

Liam is offline Member
    I would be very careful before seeing a chiropractor. This column I've found useful. Which was the subject of legal action which was subsequently dropped.
    Beware the spinal trap | Comment is free | The Guardian

While the author says "To be fair, conventional approaches, such as physiotherapy, also struggle to treat back problems with any consistency.". It's the conclusion, which matches what I've heard elsewhere that says a lot for me "if spinal manipulation were a drug with such serious adverse effects and so little demonstrable benefit, then it would almost certainly have been taken off the market"

So I'd carefully consider all options.

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    maybe try physio, massage or acupuncture first and see if it helps. i've been getting my spine adjusted now for about 8 or 9 years, and it's helped me. but everyone is different.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    One of my good friends had serious back and hip pain from a hip problem a few years ago. She started seeing a chiropractor a while back and is seeing marked improvement, figuring she won't need to go for more than a few more times. But everyone one, patient or provider, is different.

I would ask around a lot, trying to find someone who is really good. I would think needing to see a chiropractor less and less frequently would be the ultimate goal, but I don't have pain either.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    hell yes. my chiropractor is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. i have to echo the emphasis on finding the right chiropractor. ignore the bone crunchers and find a doctor of chiropractics. not only will s/he be able to help you and treat your pain, but likely help in all areas of your wellness. my chiro does alignment with a tool called an applicator (i think?) which allows for a great deal of force or pressure, but only feels like a light tap (it's really kind of amazing), and also does massage, x-rays, orders tests, some sort of electro-therapy thing, and is 100% in line with me when it comes to natural treatments over drugs. if my insurance company would let me name him as my PCP i would.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    I'd try acupuncture first, then get a really good recommendation for a chiropractor if needed.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    hell yes. my chiropractor is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. i have to echo the emphasis on finding the right chiropractor. ignore the bone crunchers and find a doctor of chiropractics. not only will s/he be able to help you and treat your pain, but likely help in all areas of your wellness. my chiro does alignment with a tool called an applicator (i think?) which allows for a great deal of force or pressure, but only feels like a light tap (it's really kind of amazing) would.
    yes this is me and chiro too. I love him, he treats my entire family when needed, and generally has us sorted in anything from 1-4 sessions. He is very good, you need to find one with a great rep.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Hun, you should have been seeing a chiropractor YEARS ago. There is no reason in this day and age to be walking around like that. Unfortunately, the longer a patient has been misaligned, the longer it can take to rectify the situation because your body has developed all sorts of odd compensations to cope and those must come undone as well.

What you describe with your lumbar spine being straight and then your cervical spine following suit is exactly what happened to me. I know first-hand the jaw drop you likely experienced when you saw your neck films! Freaky, huh?

I am doing an awesome form of chiropractic called Atlas Orthogonal, and it is excellent for chronic headaches. In fact, my chiropractor changed her whole course in life and decided to go to chiropractic school and learn AO after her chronic headaches were cured. I think she was an engineer or something like that before.

Look at this video and see what you think. There is no cracking involved. (And, P.S., they got my curves -- both of them! -- back. Thrilling.)

http://www.atlasorthogonality.com/Pa...e/aboutAO.html
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Good Chiropractors are amazing- I've seen them fix so many people. I know a few people who are walking today only because of them(yes, they saw conventional doctors first).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast