Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still feeling...blah LONG page

ErinF is offline Senior Member

Still feeling...blah LONG

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think by now I should be feeling a little bit better, but nothing seems to have improved. I'm pretty sure I'm over the "carb flu" by now. The crazy thing is after about two weeks of eating gluten free and then Primal I had an entire week where my energy levels were insane, I could skip meals and feel just fine and I was in an awesome mood; I also seemed to have a normal body temperature when I'm normally always freezing and was able to focus on tasks. After about 7 days of awesomeness everything went back to crap. I'm tired, very VERY moody, and I keep getting an upset stomach (especially when I drink water, I'm not sure what's going on there), and I'm back to needing to wear a sweatshirt constantly because I can't seem to stay warm. So here I am wondering wtf am I doing wrong with this change? So I'm here to ask all the smart people what to do and where to go from here. I love eating this way and I'm not going back to my SAD diet. Yuck!

Here's a basic run down of how things are day to day for me. I eat a huge bfast, 3 eggs from grassfed chickens, 1-2 pieces of bacon. Lunch is a salad with homemade dressing, lots of veggies and sometimes leftover steak or chicken from the day before. Dinner is some kind of protein with vegetables cooked in coconut oil. I'm getting enough protein, according to the calculations I used from the blog post on how to eat primal. My carbs are around 60 to 70g every day and I'm eating plenty of fats. I've been doing the LHT workouts twice a week and have been doing sprints once a week until now (it's too cold here to run outside and the treadmill just isn't the same for me).

I do eat a piece of dark chocolate some days and I have one or two glasses of wine on the weekends. Other than that I don't eat anything processed or eat any sugary foods. I eat fruit maybe once a week. I'm not hungry between meals and I'm drinking about 64 oz of water daily. I take a B complex vitamin, but no other supplements. I'm going to buy some fish oil today because I'm not yet able to afford the grassfed meat/dairy except eggs. I don't eat a lot of dairy anyway. I do have some weight to lose, but I'm more concerned with feeling healthy and dropping my BF % than the # on the scale. It seems like I've stalled or stopped losing weight altogether.

Any help or advice would be awesome! Thanks

Paleobird Guest
    It sounds to me like you may be one of those people who does well on really low carb at first but then stalls out. You may need to up your carb level a bit to , say, 100/day using good primal carbs like sweet potatoes, winter squash, parsnips, etc. Give it a try and see how you feel.

I was thinking about trying that, however all the carbs that most people suggest are carbs I just can't stomach. I grew up eating white rice and regular potatoes :P eating anything beyond that and I just can't do it. I hate the way they all taste, squash literally makes me sick. I'm still in search of a carb that I do like. Are red potatoes or even regular potatoes THAT bad for you?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinF View Post
    I was thinking about trying that, however all the carbs that most people suggest are carbs I just can't stomach. I grew up eating white rice and regular potatoes :P eating anything beyond that and I just can't do it. I hate the way they all taste, squash literally makes me sick. I'm still in search of a carb that I do like. Are red potatoes or even regular potatoes THAT bad for you?
    I don't think they are that bad per se but go easy on the quantity. They still have calories. You can overdo anything.

Dr. Kurt Harris over at the Archevore site theorizes that the reason that "low-carb" diets work really has nothing to do with the carbs. It is about getting rid of two of the most poisonous substances in the modern diet, cereal grains and sugar. I'm finding his writing very interesting.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You sound just like me. You are eating almost exactly the same as me. I was going along, getting over the low-carb flu, starting to feel pretty good, still exercising every day--either jogging or walking for an hour, then slowly I started feeling blah. Then I started feeling a lot worse. Then I totally crashed. I couldn't hardly exercise at all anymore. I felt weak, slow in mind and body and crampy. It was electrolytes. I got some potassium, magnesium and iodine supplements. Even though my food tasted way too salty most of the time, it wasn't enough. I needed salt, too. So I got some fancy sea salt, and I've made some broth to drink plus I've even licked a little dab of salt out of my hand when I haven't felt right. Apparently at some point your kidneys release a lot of water and with it, your electrolytes. Anyway, it's been a week of taking supplements and I'm starting to feel a lot better.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    White rice is fine. Are sweet potatoes a no-go? Those are also one of the highly recommended primal starches.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

I stopped taking my multi-vitamin because it was giving me way bad headaches that would last all day long. I stopped taking them and the headaches went away. I should probably figure out what I need to supplement my diet with, I know I'm not getting all the vitamins I need.

Sweet potatoes fall into the same category of yuck as squash type vegetables. I just can't get used to them, despite many times trying them in all sorts of different ways. I'm basically a white/brown rice and red/white potatoes kind of girl. I will eat a zucchini if it's fried in butter though, but thats as brave as I get with squash.

I'm wondering if I should get an iron supplement, I'm always low on iron. I would guess, for me, it's not an electrolyte problem. I tend to eat a lot of salt. I have super low blood pressure all the time and a doctor suggested I eat more salt (I can't recall why he said that helped with my low blood pressure) and naturally I just like salty food.

I took a multi-vitamin today and actually feel like normal. I'll keep doing that for a week or so and see if that was my problem all along.

hockeyfan7 is offline Senior Member
    Are you eating iodized salt or salt without iodine in it? I had switched to a sea salt with no iodine and started having thryoid problems. I was testing low all of a sudden and went on thyroid meds. Then it dawned on me that I had switched my type of salt. I switched back and the problem vanished.

terrax is offline Member
    I agree with upping your carbs. I get the same feeling on too-low carbs. I find I need at least 50g of carbs a day to keep energy levels and mood up. Sweet potatoes are a staple in my diet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast