Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing boiled eggs page

Silky is offline Senior Member

Storing boiled eggs

Shop Now
    I took some hardboiled eggs to work last week in their shells. ( boiled for 9 mins, then cooled in col water and kept in the fridge). When I went to eat them, it was really hard to get them out of the shells as the shell stuck to the egg and the smelled very strongly ( too much for open plan office) any tips? Is it better to store in or out of shells?

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    First, steaming them instead of boiling makes them SO much easier to peel no matter what else you do.

Second, if you don't steam them, they're easier to peel if the eggs are a little warm or if they aren't brand new from the store/farm when you cook them. Something about the membrane detaching slightly when they're not super fresh.

I steam a few days worth of eggs at a time, then store them in the fridge. I peel however many I want in the morning, then put them in a bag with a folded paper towel. Sometimes they tend to get a little wet as they sit in my cooler, and the paper towel works wonders.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

dado Guest
    Actually I just ate some hard boiled eggs, five of them, and they are so good. I don't usually keep them stored long enough to worry about this odor you tell me of.

Silky is offline Senior Member
    I've never heard of steaming eggs. I have an electric steamer but how long does it take?

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I don't use an electric steamer, so I don't know if it would be different.

I put a steamer basket in a pot of cold water so the water is just below the bottom of the steamer. Cover, turn on the heat and immediately set the timer for 20 minutes, before the water even starts to heat up. When the timer goes off, remove the eggs from the heat and chill.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Dan208 is offline Senior Member
    The other day I put a teaspoon of baking soda in the water with the eggs. It made peeling them soooo much easier. I haven't tried steaming them yet. I'll probably try that next week.

Pheebie is offline Senior Member
    We'll boil about 9 at a time (for 10 minutes), remove from the water & let them sit on the counter for about 15 minutes or so, then peel all & place in a covered Rubbermaid bowl in the refrigerator. No sticking to the shells this way, and it helps the "smell" to dissipate.

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    How long do hard boiled eggs last in the fridge?

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwabbit View Post
    How long do hard boiled eggs last in the fridge?
    About a week: How Long to Keep / Best Way to Store Eggs ? Cooked, Hard Boiled | StillTasty.com - Your Ultimate Shelf Life Guide

camel is offline Senior Member
    Use eggs a few weeks old, they let gas out and makes the shells easier to peel. Also store peeled as they smell less.
    Try storing in spiced vinegar for pickled eggs that taste great and last long time at room temp!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast