Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pregnant and freaking out! page

cookie is offline Senior Member

pregnant and freaking out!

Primal Fuel
    i am 4 months pregnant. i have been to my first ultrasound at 12 weeks, and heard the heartbeat 2 weeks ago.
    i was diagnosed with IBS a few years ago, due to super loose, urgent stools every morning for years, also daily nausea EVERY morning for years.
    i just realized this weekend that i was reacting to eggs, possibly an allergic reaction. for YEARS! was this hurting the baby? i can't help but wonder if the baby was getting what it needed over the past 4 months with my daily routine of having to empty the entire contents of my bowel every morning. i of course feel really awful and guilty about the whole thing, why didn't i figure it out!? why didn't i quit eating eggs? i honestly ate them every morning. jeez. i KNEW it wasn't just IBS. so stupid.
    maybe someone can reassure me here.
    Last edited by cookie; 11-06-2011 at 09:39 AM.

newberrycrater is offline Senior Member
    I think the baby is just fine. If there is any harm, it is to you, as the baby is given precedence in the nutritional distribution. No need for guilt. Just Grok on with your now eggless primal existance and all will be well.

newberrycrater is offline Senior Member
    Ooh, and CONGRATULATIONS!!! Both on the baby and figuring out what was upsetting your system.

Kace is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations on your pregnancy! Your baby will be fine. Some women are so poorly with morning sickness that they have to be hospitalised and rehydrated, but the babies still get all they need. I threw up quite a bit in all three pregnancies and all three little ones were fine. Unfortunately mama guilt is acquired at conception and doesn't go away...
    Hope you feel better once the last of the eggs have left your system.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Don't beat yourself up too badly. I went 12 years with horrible diarrhea - I had every test you can think of and they all came back normal. By sheer accident I figured out it was a stupid intolerance to oats. I felt like a moron for never figuring it out, but I always thought of oats as healthy!

Don't worry about the baby too much. Since this is an egg intolerance not a true allergy, I think most likely your bowel is not damaged and you are probably absorbing all the nutrients you need for your baby.

Congrats on your preganacy

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yes, your baby is fine. since your baby is still in there, and you ate other things throughout the day, your baby is fine.

paleo_hailey is offline Senior Member
    Don't worry one bit. The baby is tiny in the first trimester and can easily pull everything it needs from your reserves... many women (like me) end up with hyperemesis and can barely keep anything down early in pregnancy. There are women on my birth board who lost 20lbs+ at the beginning of pregnancy because they couldn't eat at all! The baby doesn't require significant nutrients/energy until the 2nd trimester.

The general wisdom is that early pregnancy is pretty much all or nothing. If anything has harmed the baby or interfered with development, nature usually responds with an early miscarriage. If this doesn't happen, the chances are overwhelmingly in your favor that there was no harm done at all. Relax and take a pass on the eggs from now on

cookie is offline Senior Member
    thanks everyone for bringing me down to earth.
    i realize now that:
    A. there is nothing i can do about it now
    B. i was probably reacting to nothing
    i guess the hours while i wasn't having diarrhea i was probably at least absorbing some nutrients from the foods i would eat at lunch or dinner etc.
    again, thanks to everyone for the reassurance and help!

trob1234 is offline Member
    I lived 40 years and had 2 children all while unknowingly gluten intolerant damaging my own system and both my kids are fine. I now am gluten free and have healed my own system. Welcome to the world of being a worried mom. It is the best thing ever. Your baby is just fine and will be the best thing to ever happen to you. congrats

trob1234 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    thanks everyone for bringing me down to earth.
    i realize now that:
    A. there is nothing i can do about it now
    B. i was probably reacting to nothing
    i guess the hours while i wasn't having diarrhea i was probably at least absorbing some nutrients from the foods i would eat at lunch or dinner etc.
    again, thanks to everyone for the reassurance and help!
    Don't worry the baby has a built in protection system and only you would have suffered. Baby gets nutrition first you second.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast