Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Is Tahinin ok ??? page

  1. #1
    diinky1119's Avatar
    diinky1119 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    39

    Is Tahinin ok ???

    Primal Fuel
    I was at whole foods and tasted the most delicious red pepper cashew spread .. I want to make it but it calls for tahini which is sesame seeds ground . I dont want to buy it if its not primal . i am working on losing so i wont eat a lot of it and you do use raw cashews, guess i could also try it with macademia nuts too. any advice appreciated Thanks!!

  2. #2
    brachiate's Avatar
    brachiate is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    108
    Unfortunately not, tahini is full of omega 6, so it's both inflammatory and likely to be oxidised (effectively rancid, predisposing to disease). Generally cashews are frowned on too combined with other nuts, partly because they're high carb but also omega 6, and they're technically seeds not nuts.
    The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.
    (Lily Tomlin)

    I take life easier than almost anyone I know, but when I exercise I do it as though my life depends on it (which it does).
    (Arthur De Vany)

  3. #3
    Dr. Bork Bork's Avatar
    Dr. Bork Bork is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orem, UT
    Posts
    4,813
    Quote Originally Posted by brachiate View Post
    Unfortunately not, tahini is full of omega 6, so it's both inflammatory and likely to be oxidised (effectively rancid, predisposing to disease). Generally cashews are frowned on too combined with other nuts, partly because they're high carb but also omega 6, and they're technically seeds not nuts.
    Did you read the Primal Blueprint? Cashews & Macs are Mark's favorite nuts.
    Last I knew tahini was ok, b/c it's from seeds. We're down with seeds on primal, aren't we?
    --Trish (Bork)
    TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
    http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
    FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

  4. #4
    TigerLily's Avatar
    TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    metro Portland
    Posts
    3,250
    It's just a ground seed. Hunter-gatherers were down with seeds, I'm down with seeds. There's a whole lot worse I could get my paws into. I already eat cleaner than 99.5% of Americans, so I could really give a flying whup about <gasp> high O6 on occasion.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

  5. #5
    brachiate's Avatar
    brachiate is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
    Did you read the Primal Blueprint? Cashews & Macs are Mark's favorite nuts.
    Last I knew tahini was ok, b/c it's from seeds. We're down with seeds on primal, aren't we?
    Apologies, I've come to MDA from another corner of the paleo world (Art De Vany generally minimises seeds because of antinutrients like lectins, and singles out cashews among nuts). The amount of omega 6 in tahini would be a concern to me regardless though. (Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Seeds, sesame butter, tahini, from unroasted kernels (non-chemically removed seed coat)).
    The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.
    (Lily Tomlin)

    I take life easier than almost anyone I know, but when I exercise I do it as though my life depends on it (which it does).
    (Arthur De Vany)

  6. #6
    Dr. Bork Bork's Avatar
    Dr. Bork Bork is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orem, UT
    Posts
    4,813
    Quote Originally Posted by brachiate View Post
    Apologies, I've come to MDA from another corner of the paleo world (Art De Vany generally minimises seeds because of antinutrients like lectins, and singles out cashews among nuts). The amount of omega 6 in tahini would be a concern to me regardless though. (Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Seeds, sesame butter, tahini, from unroasted kernels (non-chemically removed seed coat)).
    gotcha! thanks for clarifying.
    --Trish (Bork)
    TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
    http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
    FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

  7. #7
    TigerLily's Avatar
    TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    metro Portland
    Posts
    3,250
    Dr. BB and I are such naughty, naughty girls.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

  8. #8
    Dr. Bork Bork's Avatar
    Dr. Bork Bork is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orem, UT
    Posts
    4,813
    Oooh... we eat seeds and dairy. SPANK US!
    --Trish (Bork)
    TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
    http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
    FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

  9. #9
    TigerLily's Avatar
    TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    metro Portland
    Posts
    3,250
    I need a seed-free caveman to pull my hair, teach me the error in my evil ways.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

  10. #10
    diinky1119's Avatar
    diinky1119 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    39
    yes I have read both books .. and thats what i thought too trish!! sometimes I think people on this thread gear off of what mark says and it gets confusing .. I put all of my trust into him and his books!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •