Thread: d-ribose for energy page

jammies is offline Senior Member

d-ribose for energy

While I have come a very long way since starting primal, I still struggle with fatigue and am still looking for ways to increase my energy and stamina.

I read a little bit about supplemental d-ribose increasing energy in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromalgia patients (I don't have either of those, but I do have Rheumatoid Arthritis).

Does anyone here take a d-ribose supplement or have any thoughts on it?

Thanks!!!

heatherkh is offline Junior Member
    I've tried it and it does increase energy. Too much, and it gives me a headache. My mom is on it for diastolic heart failure (per Dr. Sinatra) and she swears by it.

Thanks heatherkh! Do you know how long it took to work for you? Any dosing or brands you found to be best?

heatherkh is offline Junior Member
    I took 5 grams/day in my morning "green drink" and felt an energy increase right away. Mind you, I was dealing with hypothyroid rather than CFS and going gluten free/Paleo resolved the thyroid issue so it was likely a combination of factors that increased my energy. I don't really use the ribose anymore because Paleo plus daily juicing has my energy levels back to normal.

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    My wife takes it for fibromyalgia and UCTD. It's one of the only things that's helped.

I am a few days in to starting it. I don't want to get my hopes up but I feel more physical energy than I have in a very long time. My "brain" still gets tired, but I have been doing lots of mentally strenuous data analysis in the last week or so, so I might just be tired.

My body actually has a little energy in it and want to move instead of stay in bed. I would soooo love it if this was for real

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I am a few days in to starting it. I don't want to get my hopes up but I feel more physical energy than I have in a very long time. My "brain" still gets tired, but I have been doing lots of mentally strenuous data analysis in the last week or so, so I might just be tired.

My body actually has a little energy in it and want to move instead of stay in bed. I would soooo love it if this was for real
    Just curious, have you continued to take ribose? Do you feel that it's continued to help? I've struggled with chronic fatigue since the age of 16, although it's never been so bad that I couldn't work or anything. Just a lot of fatigue, even if I got plenty of sleep, and headaches/sore throat if I didn't get enough sleep (which was often). I just started taking 5g of ribose 3x per day. It's only been a little over a week but I'm feeling better than I have in ... well ... I can't even remember!! I feel great, like I have energy ... I even found myself skipping around the house last weekend!

I have always told my husband that I felt like I "couldn't access my energy" and he didn't understand what I meant, but it would be like a Saturday morning after a good 9 hours of sleep and about 2 hours post-breakfast and I would be soooo tired and dragging, I just couldn't understand why. I had plenty of energy available - - either food or fat reserves - - why couldn't I USE it? Even concerted efforts to force myself over to fat-burning helped only a little bit. Ribose is the first thing that has made a big difference. Taking the 5g 3x/day in combination with eating high fat/protein, low carb breakfast and lunch, is making me feel like a whole new person at the age of 30! I am desperately hoping that it will continue to help because I am just SO happy feeling so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by KimInGA View Post
    Just curious, have you continued to take ribose? Do you feel that it's continued to help? I've struggled with chronic fatigue since the age of 16, although it's never been so bad that I couldn't work or anything. Just a lot of fatigue, even if I got plenty of sleep, and headaches/sore throat if I didn't get enough sleep (which was often). I just started taking 5g of ribose 3x per day. It's only been a little over a week but I'm feeling better than I have in ... well ... I can't even remember!! I feel great, like I have energy ... I even found myself skipping around the house last weekend!

I have always told my husband that I felt like I "couldn't access my energy" and he didn't understand what I meant, but it would be like a Saturday morning after a good 9 hours of sleep and about 2 hours post-breakfast and I would be soooo tired and dragging, I just couldn't understand why. I had plenty of energy available - - either food or fat reserves - - why couldn't I USE it? Even concerted efforts to force myself over to fat-burning helped only a little bit. Ribose is the first thing that has made a big difference. Taking the 5g 3x/day in combination with eating high fat/protein, low carb breakfast and lunch, is making me feel like a whole new person at the age of 30! I am desperately hoping that it will continue to help because I am just SO happy feeling so much better.
    The effect seemed to fade for me, BUT I was also eating lots of coffee and dark chocolate for a couple weeks which I think was draining me. I'm going to add it back in now that my diet has cleaned up a bit.

Is it still helping you?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

HesterLigon is offline Junior Member
    I've tried it and it does increase energy.

Annakay is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is the first time I have heard of D-Ribose. I have suffered from CFS, off and on, since I was a teenager (I'm now 69yrs old and only diagnosed in the last year or two) and have been going through a rough time for the past couple of months. I found MDA last year whilst doing some research on the internet with regard to Hypoglycaemia. For years I used to have bouts of yawning which would last up to an hour and could not understand what caused this. Then during one of my yawning fits I ate something and the yawning stopped. This made me wonder about low blood sugar. During my research I found out about insulin resistance and what carbs and sugar can do to the body. I think I was a carboholic. I bought Mark's books, went primal for a couple of months, lost some weight, and felt good. We went on holiday and then, unexpectedly, had a family member to stay for five months. We ended up having the wrong foods in the house again and eventually this took it's toll on me again. Back on the straight and narrow again for the past couple of months and this past week the weight has started to come off again. I have slightly more energy but struggle just to keep the house in reasonable order never mind exercise. I wonder how this D Ribose would affect the blood sugar and if it would be counter productive to a low carb regime.