Thread: Fatty Foods Addictive as Cocaine in Growing Body of Science page

mmsantos is offline Senior Member

Fatty Foods Addictive as Cocaine in Growing Body of Science

Primal Fuel
    My cousin, who has just started eating Primal after my suggestion, sent me this news link today.

Fatty Foods Addictive as Cocaine in Growing Body of Science - Bloomberg

While the title is ridiculously misleading (they use 'fatty foods' as a synonym for processed, industrialized food), the article almost proves what we all believe in. Eliminate sugars, grains and bad fats, as this quote says.

"What has changed is modern processing that creates food with concentrated levels of sugars, unhealthy fats and refined flour, without redeeming levels of fiber or nutrients, obesity experts said. Consumption of large quantities of those processed foods may be changing the way the brain is wired."

It's funny because he sent it to me questioning the principles, but in fact just gave me more fuel to make them stronger! One thing I'd be interested to see is if bad fats (vegetable/trans) are as addictive as sugar. I find it highly unlikely, as they don't give any immediate survival benefit, but I would still like to see a study where they differentiated between sugar/bad fats/grains to see their respective effects.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I find it interesting that the headline was "Fatty foods" but the actual research primarily involved sugar, especially with the rats.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    I find it interesting that the headline was "Fatty foods" but the actual research primarily involved sugar, especially with the rats.
    I've already given up reading health-related news on what makes you fat because they always have it wrong and don't even use real science

Paleobird Guest
    I don't know. I'm pretty addicted to good steak. There may be some truth to this after all.

xntrik is offline Member
    The only paleo fatty food that I tend to eat addictively is nuts. Otherwise, the big offenders are all fatty carbs, like bread slathered with butter, French fries, potato chips, etc. But, I can eat 8oz of steak with a couple tablespoons of butter on top, and I won't eat anything else for six hours... so much for fat being addictive.

dado Guest
    Cocaine, this is terrible way to die.

WTC7WasPulled is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I hope most here have learned not to put any stock into something out of Bloomberg or other lamestream media sources as they are always following an agenda to lead us all astray.