Thread: Ketosis for serious weight loss? page

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

After a bunch of reading on the subject it seems like a lot of people suggest going VLC (ketosis) until one reaches their ideal weight and then switching to a more moderate (sub 70g) low carb diet. I've been losing 4-5 lbs a week juggling between 25-70 carbs per day, but if I could lose more, and guarantee it is body fat, I'd like to try it. I feel like I'd missing things like avocados, certain sauces, etc, if I did this, but if I could bring them back in once I weigh 180 lbs in a year or so I'd consider that a fair trade-off.

Anyone have experience with this? Any suggestions?

Vick is offline Senior Member

How do you know you are not losing muscle with the body fat?

Tarlach is offline Member

You don't lose muscle if you eat enough fat and protein. Muscle catabolism is due to caloric restriction or disuse.

It's quite easy to live on ZC (and grow muscle if desired), so I don't know what you are worried about?

You might even like it and prefer to stay off the carbs for good.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member

More the issue of - if I have an odd day of lots of carbs will my weight skyrocket?

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

@Dualhammers

Depends on your insulin and leptin sensitivity.

If insulin sensitivity is low, it will keep the insulin high for long and you will gain weight.

If leptin sensitivity is low, it will use the high insulin period to pack away the fat.

I don't know if there are other factors involved ;-). The body prefers to have a fixed amount of fat. If it thinks you have less it will use every available moment.

Without insulin it is also difficult to provide nutrients to the body. I would think its not good to be in a hurry. Let things happen at their pace. We are trying to cure the system, not overload it.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

4-5 pounds a week is still really, really good...

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Vick is offline Senior Member

@Tarlach I agree, however how do we know if Dualhammers is getting enough?

I've had the occasional loss of 5 lbs a week, but not consistant. I'm averaging under 2lbs. a week.

"Starvation" tactics will lead to a slow down in the metabolism and "eating muscle" as part of the body's natural preservation instinct.

Tarlach is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Exactly, starvation should be avoided.

It is still possible to lose weight without forcing caloric restriction (starvation), which is why I assume he would try ketosis.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)