Hey everyone! My name is Theresa and I am 20 years old and a senior, going to graduate in May 2012, at a university in eastern North Carolina.

I think I first stumbled upon MDA when I was reading Fitbomb's blog two summers ago. I was doing P90X at the time, and he was first starting his own dabbling with primal. I dove right into this website in order to learn more, and it all just made sense!

A little history: two summers ago I did P90X for about 80 days but got absolutely burnt out and could not finish. It definitely got me into the best shape I'd ever been in (I've never played a sport or done anything remotely physical in my life) and I am extremely grateful for it. After the program, I continued a variation of exercises in my apartment's fitness center and was happy with my maintained results and continued progress. Unfortunately, in October of 2010, school got me extremely depressed and stressed out and I ended up stopping my workouts entirely and was eating emotionally. So I packed thirty pounds onto my 5'5'' medium sized frame.

I have not yet been able to lose the thirty pounds that I gained. Granted, I haven't really been trying to lose the weight until about July of this year. I have been trying to severely clean up my diet (paleo/primal: no dairy, some starchy tubers) and I am just starting some body weight exercises. I am also two weeks into the "couch to 5k" program (I am training for the Krispy Kreme Challenge in February... ha, and I know, all of you must be seething since donuts are certainly NOT primal!).

I think I finally understand that my goals need to be S.M.A.R.T. I used to just think that was a silly waste of time whenever I learned about making SMART goals in school, but now I think I finally get it. Break up the goal into bite-sized, attackable and manageable pieces. Track everything and progress every week. I think I understand the fundamentals, so now to put it in place:

Currently my routine is taken nearly straight from Steve's Beginner Body Weight Routine from Nerd Fitness and also Mark's Primal Fitness E-book:
- Circuit of squats, push-ups, lunges, rows, chin-ups, planks, and jumping jacks.
- Complete three sets of the circuit with two minute breaks in between sets.
I just finished my first one this morning
So on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I do my couch to 5k run. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays are going to be this Beginner Body Weight workout. Sundays I walk for an hour and really focus on flexibility/mobility afterward.
I plan on either upping reps or changing the exercise to make them more intense every week in order to keep progressing.

Next semester, when I am taking way less credit hours, I am going to start hitting the gym to do deadlifts and squats, and I'm going to cut way down on the running (still going to keep sprints, though). I need to try and focus more on getting STRONGER and stop focusing so much on my weight. Although I definitely want to lose the fat I packed on, I need to stop focusing so much on that scale number.

So, any other college students out there? How about people doing bodyweight stuff? Anyone else in eastern North Carolina?

I am very excited to start reaching my goals and getting back to a healthier me!