Thread: Cooking and Lysine, Protein, and Potassium page

Cooking and Lysine, Protein, and Potassium

Primal Fuel
    I was wondering mainly from the three items how much lysine is made bio-avaliable or that is able to be absorbed after cooking, based on whatever temperatures you are aware of but mainly in the situation of cooking a chicken breast or steak, just a percentage of lysine or something would be perfect or other information related to that. Also what do some on this forum feel is the daily value of Lysine. And how much protein and potassium remains after cooking; and just to mention whatever relative temperature and its effects you know would be really great. If there are other nutrients you know are effected or not effected by cooking that would be a great help. And I really appreciate anyone who can help or has tried to help.
    Last edited by Baltimoretsg3984; 11-05-2011 at 11:33 PM.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    If you're getting your protein from animals, and you're getting enough protein in general (at least 1g/kg of body weight) then you probably have enough lysine. Definitely if you have some collagen-rich animal foods (e.g. bone broth, chuck, shank, tendon). I've not heard of beef protein or potassium getting destroyed by cooking (though water does leach potassium out, so don't boil unless you're making a soup). FWIW according to self.com facts on cooked sirloin, beef muscle is approximately 8.4% lysine. So if you're getting 156g of protein from beef, you're getting 13g of lysine in it.