Thread: Inquiry for all of you brilliant PBers. page

TheCasualWarrior Guest

Primal Fuel

Another question for all of you PB experts: If I eat a low carb/high fat diet - will I get fat with an occassional carb binge?

AND Will folks who are only partly Primal gain weight eating carbs?

Thanks!

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

Haha very broad question that is really based on the individual, but I'll try.

Essentially if your following PB your going to be building muscle (great!) and eating a diet primairly based on whole foods containing fat/protein (great!).

Now that is going to leave your muscles and liver storage pretty open, as most of the incidental carbs you do consume will be used for daily processing and the workouts (your doing those right?). Yeah there is gluconeogenesis and the krebs cycle but your storage for glucose will still be relatively empty.

So when you occasionally eat carbs, assuming your insulin sensitivity is in order, the carbs should be shuttled to your muscles versus fat cells. That's what SHOULD happen, but that process is highly individualized. On top of that, I wouldn't binge, that could be asking for a dark dark road to a disorder.

Not really sure what you mean by "partly primal". But if were talking specifically diet that is highly individualized also, and generally follows the same guidelines as above.

The 80/20 rule is present in many health books and programs for a reason, because it works. So if you want to *have* (not binge) on carbs then right on!

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

I think it would be dangerous to eat partly primal, if that means eating tons of saturated fats, protein, AND tons of carbs. Deadly combo from what I've been reading.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Yeah I definitely second that... I guess we just need a more clear question, how primal or non primal do you mean

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

TheCasualWarrior Guest

I guess, when I say "partly primal" I was asking about was the 80/20 principal - Yes, I am doing the Primal workouts. Sprinting, Lifting heavy things - STILL unsure about "Low-level aerobic activity" What does that mean, exactly?

I just stocked the freezer with US Wellness Grass-fed steaks, bought a wild caught Alaskan salmon and made the Arctic char chowder (Awesome!) recipe from Mark's website - but I had a non-primal lunch with french fries and 1/2 white pita bread stuffed with deli meat. . I try and eat relatively healthy (Even when not eating Primally) but I DO have some concerns - like today..

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member

Just don't make it an everyday thing. For me, it's like smoking a cigar. Is it healthy? No. Do I like doing it? Yes. Do I do it more than once a month? No.

Some people will say you're a fool for even touching french fries, others won't care. I say that you need to shoot for a long healthy life that you enjoy rather than one you feel confined in. If that means french fries once in a blue moon, then go for it.

TheCasualWarrior Guest

Well said, Dualhammers. Thank you. I think I'm just getting so bombarded with info - I'm not sure what to believe anymore..

Casual, your problem is the MOST common problem in the health industry. Im going to let you in on a little secret for why it exists... everyone is different! You can't just follow cookie cutter advice and expect the same effects as your friend next door and the one across the street.

So the easiest and most effective way to shoot down the bad info and make use of the good info, is to take all that info and do what works best for YOU.

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Agree with Dualhammers: fries and pita bread should be a rare event.

One problem with high carb meals on a Primal background is that if your body has adjusted to a low carb diet, that meal will spike your blood sugar like nobody's business. A non-diabetic who regularly eats bread and cookies should have no trouble with fries and pita bread for lunch. But if you normally eat low carb, your pancreas will not be prepared to handle it, and your post-meal blood sugar will reflect that lack of preparedness.

A once in a while blood sugar spike and shock to your pancreas is probably okay, as long as you are not diabetic. But don't make it a habit. Chronically elevated blood sugar is bad news, and you've only got one pancreas, so be nice to it!