Thread: Wheat Belly page

chocgrl is offline Junior Member

Wheat Belly

Primal Fuel
    Sums up reasons not to eat wheat from LifeExtension's website.

Life Extension Daily News

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I've read Wheat Belly (liked it a lot) and that article is a pretty fair summation.

It's nice when something is given fair coverage without the usual "but of course, you'll still need healthy whole grains - everything in moderation" disclaimer.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Nice. Another link to send to my diabetic mom. Yes, I preach at her. No, I don't think it's doing any good. No, I'm not going to stop.

My dad needs to start lifting weights, too.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Resurrecting an old thread.
    I had a look at the Wheat Belly blog, and found some concerning things. They tend to scare people away from fruits and are strongly advocating for something like 15g of "net-carbs" per meal. I just wrote a comment to a blog post called

"What's wrong with that banana ?" : What's wrong with that banana? | Wheat Belly Blog

I mean: I get the message that wheat is crap, I have not eaten wheat for ages now and feel great! A feat for a non-celiac French I tell you! But fruits ??? what ?? Wouldn't all these folks asking whether they can eat a banana be better served by following something like the Jaminet's PHD ? Why the Wheat Belly fans strongly advocate for a borderline ketogenic diet ??

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    Why the Wheat Belly fans strongly advocate for a borderline ketogenic diet ??
    Probably just a case of target audience. The author is addressing obese folks who never thought about nutrition much. The US is full of gluten-free traps right now (fried snacks and desserts) so I can see how "no wheat" is incomplete advice, but I agree the author is a little too strident in restricting wholesome carbohydrate.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Wheat Belly is a good book. However, the dietary recommendations puts it in the slot of the low sugar/low starch/low GI diets that are trying to break the metabolic abnormalities. For these diets, bananas are a huge no-no, because of the bananas unique combination of sugar and starch (it is like a nature's sugary cereal). This is the reason bananas are connected to the weight gain around the middle in so many diets/sources.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hm. Probably time for me to start laying off the bananas.

M.