Thread: Food Storage page

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Wondering if anyone keeps a food storage for an emergency... Water, dried fruit, ect... Just want to see how popular they are among the people here

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

RockiCocoa is offline Junior Member

I have a "couple days" worth of food and water stored in plastic tubs. You never know when something may happen and you'd be happy to have that stuff. It's not really stuff that's too good for me, because I put that together before I decided to try to eat Primal...gee, now I guess I need to re-do those tubs. :-)

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." ~Jim Elliot

Chunster495 is offline Member

Nope. I just don't see a huge need for it. I can't recall a time where this would have come in handy. I'd rather eat whatever is left in my fridge,... and then it's off to fasting for as long as i can i guess.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

chunster if you live in a place where you might get hurricanes for example, you could be without power for 2+ weeks... if the whole town is also without power, you can bet you won't find much in your grocery store. And once you open your fridge the things inside will start to get warm and spoil.

One thing my neighborhood planned to do in the case of a hurricane and a long power loss was to go to one person's house, open their fridge and eat their food that day... then the next day, go to another person's house and eat their food. Etc. As long as your fridge is sealed it acts as a pretty good cooler.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

AS, we don't have an emergency kit made up yet but we will be making one soon.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Yeah, you never know when something with happen. Arizona rarely gets any natural disasters, but for some odd reason the past two days have included tornado warnings though. We stocked up just in case. I think it would be cool to hear if anyone has changed their storage to make it primal, although in a time of emergency being primal isn't most people's priorities.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I had a pretty full pantry and freezer. I've been living off it for about a month now without any new groceries. I probably have another month's worth left. I don't worry as much about natural disasters as I do about loss of income, however. I try to keep a full pantry so that I have food when means get lean.

When I was a kid both of my parents were without work, so we lived on rabbits, and milk from the neighbor's farm. My mom made butter from it, and made jam out of crab apples. To this day my older sister still hates apple jelly. That was the time we learned a lot about foraging, and have been doing it ever since.

I guess with me, in times of scarcity, at least I know I can always shoot dinner.

Very cool Diana... I've actually been ordering a few books on survival in the wild lately along with the hefty dose of health books.. although I doubt books are 100 percent applicable to real life!