Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Zero-Carb the 'ultimate' goal? page

thaijinx is offline Senior Member

Is Zero-Carb the 'ultimate' goal?

Shop Now
    I realise that for many, myself included, a primal diet is adequate and even optimal. I'm not planning on going Zero-Carb any time soon, as I'm still trying to master the Primal lifestyle to the degree and consistency that I want. However, purely from a health point of view, is going Zero-Carb the ultimate, so to speak?

In other words, are there EXTRA health gains to be had from going Zero-Carb?

Grizz is offline Banned
    Veggies, leafy greens, fruits & nuts offer needed vitamins, minerals & natural fiber, and are required for optimal health.

Zero Carb is a great way to force your body to burn fat instead of blood sugar created by eating carbs.

The best is Low Carb around 25 to 50 carbs a day.

Grizz

I just found this page... I guess that answers my question. LOL

Zero Carb Diet | Mark's Daily Apple

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    No, zero carb should not be ultimate goal. IMO 50g - 100g carbs a good amount.

MvEssen is offline Senior Member
    No.

A diet for optimum health means you get all vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants and other benefitial things from foods in. This means you eat plenty of good meat, vegetables (this includes root vegetables), sometimes some berry's, some chocolat, etc.

It's silly to completely ignore one macro nutrient (with some exceptions such as extreme obesity). Getting carbs in from real food is not going to hurt 90% of the people.

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Zero carb is foolish and misunderstood if not done right. Heed the words of Mark Sisson in his blog post referenced above. If you want to go zero carb, make sure you're ready to eat the whole animal and not only from one species.

Been there done that. It is nigh impossible to follow a ZC diet for a long time. It is impractical and hard work to get all the nutrients you need. Not to mention if you go and ask for offal at the store they are mostly like "Ewww! No?! What?! Ewwwww!" In other words: You don't get any.

In short - don't do it. You'll find you'll have plenty of more fun with a lowish carb. I thrive around 50 - 100 grams per day. More and I get lazy, less and I start to get cold hands and feet. Around 50 - 70 seems to be my sweet spot. YMMW.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was just wondering because I'm new to all this. I don't have any intention to go ZC.

Sungazer what's the best way to calculate how many grams of carbs you're eating?

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    no, it's not the ultimate goal.

the ultimate goal is a healthy, diverse, and biologically sound diet that helps you live a healthy life.

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    It depends. It is impossible to get the exact amount, but a nutrition tracker like Track your progress on the Paleo diet - PaleoTrack might be very handy. In my experience if you eat produce only and don't overdo the starchy produce you'll end up at a fairly low carbohydrate amount automagically.

My best advice is to eat a varied diet within the framework of the revised Primal Blueprint food pyramid.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

liza is offline Senior Member
    I've wondered why those who think zero carb is the goal ignore the "gatherer" part of the "hunter-gatherer" meme. Wasn't what was gathered plants, including roots, tubers, also maybe gathered eggs etc ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast