Thread: Having a hard time page

quietmalu is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Having a hard time

Primal Fuel
    Hi Everyone ~

I want to say hello to everyone and also to see if anyone is in the same boat as me. I stumbled across Mark's site about 4 months ago. I tried to live a Primal lifestyle but found it hard to maintain. Here are my reasons:
    Weather: Since I live in Canada, it's pretty much cold 8 months of the year. Therefore I eat more frequently since I don't spend much time outside.
    Money: This lifestyle has proven to be a bit expensive for my needs. I want to get on the supplement program but I don't have the funds to do so.
    Recipes: My background is Indian and I've grown up with rice & oily foods. I haven't found much recipes that would help me with my palette. I've tried a few but no luck yet.
    Addict: I have a really bad sweet tooth, especially towards chocolate. I have to something sweet after every meal. I'm really crazy about Nutella. I know that it's loaded with sugar with very nutritional benefit.

Anyway I just wanted to say hi to everyone in the forum. I'd also want to know if anyone else is having a hard time. If so, I'd like to hear your stories.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    A while back I found a blog from an Indian guy who basically said that most traditional Indian food is pretty good so long as you cook with ghee and don't eat a lot of naan and roti or desserts. Get out your old grandmother's recipes back before they started eating wheat and sugar.

As for the expense, making Indian food is probably pretty darn expensive. You'll probably have to learn to make a few things from scratch. Aren't there some Indian communities in Canada? I know one guy who lived in Canada before he lived in California. He did have trouble with the cold weather and the doctor said he'd have to eat meat if he was going to survive so he moved to California instead.

Roa
    Roa is offline Member
    Hi! The primal diet is what I always choose to come back to! Sometimes things happens in life and throws you off for a bit. But this works so well for me! Barefoot too. And nature. ...Give the whole lifestyle a go!

sarahz is offline Senior Member
    Please don't think I'm being rude with my comments as that's not what I intend but I think you are maybe using too many excuses. Once you get on the primal bandwagon you will be so saiated you won't need to eat many times throughout the day so I think perhaps you are eating out of boredom. Secondly I don't think this lifestyle is more expensive, eggs are cheap try those. Look throughout the forum for recipes or post a thread that you are looking for something primal thats close to nutella. If you really want this lifestyle then its not hard at all it just depends on how much you want it or weather you want your excuses to get the better of you. Also Indian food is great, just not the rice or the naan.

EmegaMart20 is offline Junior Member
    every body must have ability to bear.

John Nugent is offline Junior Member
    Sugar is addictive and chocolste/nutella etc. are big sugar carriers. Try the Dr Jack Kruse leptin reset - google his website - that willhelp with your cravings for sugar. If you want something sweet after a meal - eat fruit. Cut rice, bread and other grains and load up on good Indian food without those accompaniments. Good luck - old habits die hard but you will break through.

tec1207 is offline Junior Member
    I think my biggest struggles with maintaining a primal lifestyle are still trying to have a social life with my college friends. Oftentimes we drink, eat party-type food, and stay up late having a good time. While that is all well and good, I dearly love my friends, it is not very conducive for a primal lifestyle.

The every once in a while hot chocolate or dessert can send me spiraling down a sugar binge. I haven't done a binge in quite a while (yay!), but being in college makes sticking to primal pretty challenging.

But like sarahz said, you have to really want it in order to make these improvements to your life
    Theresa

Two important questions to ask yourself every week:
    Did I run faster and farther this week than I did last week?
    Can I lift more weight and do more repetitions that I did last week?

olebaldie is offline Junior Member
    The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahz View Post
    Please don't think I'm being rude with my comments as that's not what I intend but I think you are maybe using too many excuses. Once you get on the primal bandwagon you will be so saiated you won't need to eat many times throughout the day so I think perhaps you are eating out of boredom. Secondly I don't think this lifestyle is more expensive, eggs are cheap try those. Look throughout the forum for recipes or post a thread that you are looking for something primal thats close to nutella. If you really want this lifestyle then its not hard at all it just depends on how much you want it or weather you want your excuses to get the better of you. Also Indian food is great, just not the rice or the naan.
    +1 to this

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tec1207 View Post
    I think my biggest struggles with maintaining a primal lifestyle are still trying to have a social life with my college friends. Oftentimes we drink, eat party-type food, and stay up late having a good time. While that is all well and good, I dearly love my friends, it is not very conducive for a primal lifestyle.

The every once in a while hot chocolate or dessert can send me spiraling down a sugar binge. I haven't done a binge in quite a while (yay!), but being in college makes sticking to primal pretty challenging.

But like sarahz said, you have to really want it in order to make these improvements to your life
    5-6 weeks into primal I found this to not be an issue anymore. Social or not (I'm very social) I simply found it easy to avoid the food that goes with the night outs. I've even limited my drinking.

As a reply to the original poster, I think you need to make a choice and decide to give it an honest try. Homemade Indian food can be perfectly primal. For sweet cravings after meals, try coconut oil with a sprinkle of cinnamon and a cup of licorice root tea.