Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheap grain-free cat food? page 2

Steve-O is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

We feed our cat the Evo line of grain-free foods:

http://www.evopet.com/products/

"Just as in the human world, an overabundance of high-calorie carbohydrates in a pet food diet can lead to obesity, diabetes and overall listlessness. EVO® is appropriate for many dogs and cats and stands out as a healthful food alternative for pets who will perform better on a grain free diet ..."

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Hey, that one looks good, thanks. I'll look for it when I go to the pet store.

I'm not ordering the other one because I have to pay 10 dollars for shipping.... hell no!

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

nina_70 Guest

Decent brands of grain-free food are EVO95%, By nature organics, Wellness, Nature&#39;s Variety Instinct.

IF you do a home-based food it&#39;s very, very important to feed more than just meat. Cats need meat, bone and organs (just as if they were eating real prey i.e. mice & birds). If you just feed meat, they don&#39;t get any calcium, for example (which would come from the bone). Organs also have important nutrients. The ratio should be approx. 80-85% meat, 5-10% bone and 10% organ. It can be very cheap to do home-based if you buy on sale.

Read how to make home-based food here:

http://www.catinfo.org/

http://www.catinfo.org/makingcatfood.htm

http://www.catnutrition.org/foodmaking

remebero Guest

Raphael, I have a 6 dogs and 4 cats. You can imagine how much it will cost me weekly to feed them properly. But guess what, almost nothing. I get most of free stuff site. I used mostly www.askfreehunters.com free pet food section. I subscribe to most of those sites and as soon as the free food get a offered i request.

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member

The brand I use is Blue Ridge (I think) - it&#39;s high in protein and no grains. (God knows why they think cats need sweet potatoes though). I supplement the dry food with bits of chicken thighs and chicken livers (I get both from my grocery). I can&#39;t switch them completely over to raw food because I get called out for business trips every month or so for three days at a time. They need to be able to eat kibble on those occasions.

I wonder if frozen pinky mice would be a good supplememnt to the cats&#39; diet.

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

I thought about doing this with my cats, but since they are indoor/outdoor cats (I live in a deadend street) so they still hunt the gophers in my garden, field mice and occasionally some birds. So I&#39;m not too worried about that. Wild-caught animals probably do them just fine.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member

Maybe look at Taste of the Wild&#39;s kibble. In researching grain free kibble for our dogs, cheap is not really something that lines up with "grain free." Meat costs $$ and if they aren&#39;t putting a lot grains in there for filler and the food is cheap, then they&#39;re putting some other kind of filler in there (like potato).

We feed TOTW HP to our 19 dogs (that&#39;s an ouch of a bill every couple months) but it&#39;s worth it b/c we can&#39;t do totally raw at the moment with our crew.

Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Underwaterer is offline Junior Member

I feed my 2 cats Primal Nuggets, they are at my locally owned pet store. They keep the nuggets in a freezer, you just thaw them out, soak them inside a bag in warm water till "mouse" temp and serve. I feed them wellness dry food too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12