Thread: Does our nutrient-dense diet hinder or enhance fasting? page

Knifegill is online now Senior Member

Does our nutrient-dense diet hinder or enhance fasting?

Primal Fuel
    I admit to not understanding what goes on when the body is fasting. I only have been told it's good to fast, to rest the digestive system, etc. But when the body breaks down fat for fuel, it is known to release substances that are stored there. In grain-fed people, that means an onslaught of toxins. But what about us? Does all the extra vitamin A, D, E and K flood our system to detriment?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Is a fat cell ever just a fat cell? Does it necessarily have stored vitamins? Presumably the body would have some check against releasing too much into the system all at once.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Grumpy- A lot of the vitamins that Knifegill mentioned are fat-soluble, and they are stored in fat in your body. I don't know about the quantities, though.

I would guess that there are moderating aspects of this- the fat cells can only hold a limited amount, your body can only release a given amount of fat at a time, etc...

I will say that when I began eating healthy and dropped a ton of weight, I had really dark circles under my eyes for a long time, which is supposedly a symptom of your liver being stressed/overtaxed.

damon88 is offline Junior Member
    This is a very good question? have you found any answers so far?

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    @Knifegill: who really knows ? there are evidences showing that the body spends some effort in autophagy, cleaning and disposal of weaks cells, etc, while not busy digesting. Just for that, it is worth it I think. For the rest, just live man

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    That's actually a really good question. I know that there have been instances of people losing weight suddenly tripping out because drugs that they took years before that got stored in their fat all of a sudden got re-released into their system. Also recall an episode of House MD (which presumably is based on real medical possibilities) of a kid that started losing weight and got really sick and it was because he'd been exposed to a lot of formaldehyde vapor from termites in his home. So it's a fact that things we're exposed to get stored in our fat cells and may make our body more toxic when we lose weight. Whether that would happen with fat soluble vitamins, I have no idea. Maybe one of our resident doctors will answer.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

ilovesteak is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I admit to not understanding what goes on when the body is fasting. I only have been told it's good to fast, to rest the digestive system, etc. But when the body breaks down fat for fuel, it is known to release substances that are stored there. In grain-fed people, that means an onslaught of toxins. But what about us? Does all the extra vitamin A, D, E and K flood our system to detriment?
    Remember that your body breaks down the fat very incrementally, not all at once (I wish ). The vitamins residing in those fat cells might be lost to you, or maybe your body has a way of re-absorbing them into your system.

In either case, you don't lose fat fast enough for it to make a difference nutritionally, IMHO of course.