Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can one get in Great shape without Grass Fed? page

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member

Can one get in Great shape without Grass Fed?

Shop Now
    This may seem like a stupid question to some but it has actually caused great consternation for me.

I am currently in a very poor financial situation which will probably last for the next year or so. While I have seen some great strides form where I was on Primal I am concerned that I will never be in truly great shape unless I can afford grass fed meats and various organic extras.

Is this true? Is it impossible to get a six pack and live 90 years without buying grass fed meats?

My current monthly meat plan is normally like this. All these groceries are bought from your average industrial store.

Chicken Thighs - 10 lbs
    Ground beef - 15 lbs
    Onions - 5 lbs
    Sweet potatoes - 3 lbs
    Canned tomatoes - 10 cans
    Coconut Milk - 3 cans
    Coconut Oil - 1 jar
    Fish Oil Supplement

If I time my purchases right I can get out of the store for just under $80... which is about the upper limit I can afford to spend on food per month. I've tried looking into CSAs and various Grass Fed Farms around the area but they are either too expensive, or I don't have the space in my studio apartment for 1/4 of a cow, or they are sold out.

I am very eager to get into amazing six pack shape - will I kill myself if I keep eating like this?

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Of course you can get a six pack without eating grass-fed. And you could easily live to 90 too, maybe if you spent more on grass-fed you'd live to 99, who knows? Or you could eat grass-fed and get hit by a bus next week, there are no guarantees. The point is, you do what you can afford-if you're buying grain-fed, just get leaner cuts and/or don't eat the fat. I choose to pay the grocer, rather than the doctor, but that's just me, and I understand that some people simply can't afford it.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Yes.

otzi Guest
    I kind of weaned myself off industrial chicken. I've read where it contains like 10 times the 06 as compared to industrial beef. Look into some of the cheaper cuts of beef like skirt steak, or buy cheap roasts and cook them in the slow cooker.

Also, looking at your food list, you should seriously consider getting some calf liver or heart, and some canned wild salmon or sardines.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I kind of weaned myself off industrial chicken. I've read where it contains like 10 times the 06 as compared to industrial beef. Look into some of the cheaper cuts of beef like skirt steak, or buy cheap roasts and cook them in the slow cooker.

Also, looking at your food list, you should seriously consider getting some calf liver or heart, and some canned wild salmon or sardines.
    Yes to all of this.

I personally think it's worth it to eat grassfed, but it's not the only thing.

You'll do fine.

And yes, chicken is nasty.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Dualhammers, your name is beyond awesome.

Grass fed beef is nice, but not necessary. On a budget, I would focus my limited resources on high quality eggs from the farmer's market. Huge bang for your buck there and much more nutritious than actual chicken meat. A wise person in another thread also suggested buying grain-fed beef, but cooking it in grass-fed butter, such as Kerrygold. That's almost as good as grass-fed itself.

Mind the canned tomatoes, though, as the acid in tomatoes can liberate BPA from the can lining. If you have the opportunity to go fresh, or with a can that does not have BPA (some do exist), that would be better.

Bon appetit. As for training up to a six-pack, don't forget squats, deadlifts, and sledgehammers.

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    As for training up to a six-pack, don't forget squats, deadlifts, and sledgehammers.
    and sprints... lots of sprints.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

Calorie deficit.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    Yes to all of this.

I personally think it's worth it to eat grassfed, but it's not the only thing.

You'll do fine.

And yes, chicken is nasty.
    +1

dado Guest
    You can get in great shape without "organic" or "grass-fed", which I maintain is, for the most part, a giant scam.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast