Thread: Pregnant with twins and Primal page

rowan16 is offline Junior Member

Pregnant with twins and Primal

Primal Fuel
    I've recently returned to Primal eating after an absence. I've also recently found out I am pregnant with twins....scary!

I've been feeling great, no morning sickness, not too much lethargy, feeling healthy. My question is does anyone have any idea how to boost calories up a bit? I've been eating around 1700-2000 calories a day, not stuffing myself, keeping it all "real" food and healthy food, but I'm losing weight. I'm eating fats and proteins and veg...between 60 and 70% fat a day according to Livestrong. I keep track so I don't forget to eat.

Any ideas about how to boost calories? I'm guessing that's what I need.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    nuts and nut butters, full fat dairy, sweet potatoes, white & wild rice, coconut, butter, bacon!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

elainevdw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rowan16 View Post
    I've recently returned to Primal eating after an absence. I've also recently found out I am pregnant with twins....scary!

I've been feeling great, no morning sickness, not too much lethargy, feeling healthy. My question is does anyone have any idea how to boost calories up a bit? I've been eating around 1700-2000 calories a day, not stuffing myself, keeping it all "real" food and healthy food, but I'm losing weight. I'm eating fats and proteins and veg...between 60 and 70% fat a day according to Livestrong. I keep track so I don't forget to eat.

Any ideas about how to boost calories? I'm guessing that's what I need.
    I'm no expert by any means, but unless you're underweight, losing weight might not be that big of an issue for your pregnancy, especially if you're still in the first trimester. If you feel good and aren't lethargic, I don't know if you should be forcing yourself to eat if you're not hungry and your prenatal checkups are going well.

Do eat nutrient-dense foods like liver, though... and eggs, fermented cod liver oil, etc. The Weston Price Foundation has a list of recommendations for preggers ladies which should not only keep you healthy but set your kiddos up for a healthy early childhood too.

But like I said, I don't have any personal experience here; I'm interested in seeing what others have to say.
    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

paleo_hailey is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations! I'm 23 weeks with a singleton, you get double the fun

I had the same concern as you earlier in my pregnancy - my doctor wanted me to eat 2300 calories per day, and with primal/paleo I was usually really satisfied with 1700. I just couldn't force down the extra. What I've found is that your body (and your babies!) will let you know when they need something... I've hit a couple of big appetite bursts that seem to coincide with growth spurts for the baby, and then things will slow down again for a while. Listening to my body seems to keep everything in balance - if I'd loaded up on calories on the days I wasn't really feeling it, I'd probably have gained more than I should by now!

I'd focus on how the babies are doing rather than whether you're meeting some arbitrary target... I'm still a little under my doctor's weight gain curve and some weeks I gain almost nothing, but I am slowly but steadily gaining weight, and the baby has consistently measured a little ahead on ultrasound. My doctor keeps complimenting me on how well I am feeding the baby... obviously he doesn't know my plan doesn't include his 5-7 servings of wholegrain daily
    Last edited by paleo_hailey; 11-04-2011 at 01:20 PM.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Congrats on the twins

When I was pregnant with my twins I simply ate. I didn't track calories, macros, etc. I didn't try to meet a calorie goal. I did make sure to take my prenatal vitamins and extra iron at the request of my doctor.

In the end, I gained a total of 49lbs. They were healthy, full term babies, born 4 days before their due date. They weighed 6 lbs 12 oz and 6 lbs 15 oz.

If you are eating a variety of healthy real foods, to satiety, then I wouldn't worry about a little weight loss, unless you are already underweight. If the weight loss continues then make an effort to boost calories by eating more of the healthy things you enjoy.

Also, you do not say where you are on the weight continuum. FWIW, my overweight sisters initially lost weight early in their pregnancy. They all had healthy children.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I had twins 5 years ago, congrats. Your body will crave dairy, so embrace that. You won't have much room to fit in food passed 20 weeks, so make sure what you eat is nutrient-dense. I lived off yogurt and cream.

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    Raw milk.

rowan16 is offline Junior Member
    Thank you all for your input! I'm 5-10# "over weight", better than I started off with either of my boys. I've been eating a lot of cocconut products (oil, butter, raw unsweeteded), some bacon...not a lot because it makes me retain water(hands swell)...I've been adding HWC and full fat greek yogurt. So, I guess I'll just keep at what I'm doing. You've all made me feel a lot better....

Tneah is offline Senior Member
    Congrats!

My first pregnancy I gained 27-30lbs. I had a 8.2 lb baby. Which is very big for my 4'11 height.

My second for some reason I just couldn't put the weight on. The baby was developing to where it needed to be. I ended just following my natural urges to eat when I needed to and not follow some chart on how many pounds I should gain. I gained a total of 13 lbs. The baby was 8.6 lbs.
    The baby got the nutrition it needed.