Thread: Newbie freaking out about hair loss page

lilliputty is offline Junior Member

Newbie freaking out about hair loss

Primal Fuel
    Hello all! I have been lurking on here for a while but decided to register and get involved

I've been Primal since June and have been loving the new way of eating. Except for a few occasions of eating grains, I have been pretty much Primal (with dairy) and feel great.

I haven't lost any weight as I dont think I really need to and my body is staying stable at 55kgs.

The one thing that I have noticed is that I'm losing A LOT of hair. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a normal response to going low carb and will it get better? I am worried I am missing out on essential nutrients and it's making my hair fall out.

I eat grass fed organic meats, fish, organic veggies, grass fed butter, raw milk, fermented vegetables, heavy cream, cheeses, dark chocolate and the occasional glass of wine.

Anyone have any advice???

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    I found that my hair loss slows down when I add some Primal carbs in the form of fruits and sweet potatoes. I also have white rice 1-2x per month.
    It starts up again when I go too low carb.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Are you LOSING hair, as in, your hair feels thinner and/or you have bald spots, or are you just shedding more? If you search on the forums, I believe others have found that they are shedding more. I believe this is due to an increase in protein consumption, which makes your new hair stronger, but can make the weaker strands fall out...maybe I'm just making that up.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

lilliputty is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am shedding a lot more than usual. For example, when I run my fingers through my hair, there are ALWAYS hairs in my hands. When I brush my hair, my brush is covered in loose hairs. I don't have any bald spots, just finding hair all over the place: in the sink, in the shower, on my brushes, on my clothes etc. So was worried that I'm slowly going bald!