Thread: My DH's classes on nutrition in the academy... page

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member

My DH's classes on nutrition in the academy...

Primal Fuel
    ...are AWESOME! He started the academy on Monday, and told me that his first class segment is on officer nutrition and general health/wellness. I thought, oh great, another place for my already-skeptical hubby to hear about how awesome whole grains are, and how terrible fat is.

I couldn't have been more wrong! The sergeant teaching the class sounds like he eats primal (he even mentioned RAW MILK!), he keeps emphasizing that they need to eat animal fat because veggie oil is terrible, avoid gluten and HFCS, the majority of your meals should be meat, eggs, veggies, and fruit. He doesn't say to totally avoid grains/carbs, especially for my ultra skinny hubby who needs to eat a lot of EVERYTHING, but I have to say I am SO glad DH is hearing this stuff from someone other than his crazy hippie wife! Oh, and DH mentioned that I have celiac, and the instructor said "oh, I bet she's allergic to like everything, right". Hallelujah, he may actually BELIEVE me now!

With me packing his lunches/breakfasts/making dinner every night, DH has been about 60/40 primal for the last few days, working on moving toward 80/20 with lots of potatoes. I have to figure out an easy, quick to eat, portable breakfast to send with him that's full of protein, calories, and carbs, not too heavy. I have been packing clif bars, which I am not happy with but he hates the texture of larabars.

newberrycrater is offline Senior Member
    Oh wow, that's fantastic! Glad you have reinforcements, and from the military no less.

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    awesome! that's great!!

mammlouk is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OperaDivaMom View Post
    I have to figure out an easy, quick to eat, portable breakfast to send with him that's full of protein, calories, and carbs, not too heavy. I have been packing clif bars, which I am not happy with but he hates the texture of larabars.
    Costco sells giant packages of precooked bacon. If you're in a bind for time and convenience you could keep that on hand and just warm it before he runs out the door. It may not be ideal, but it's something. You could also do some egg muffins which are basically a delicious egg scramble poured into muffin cups and baked ahead of time. I think there are recipes at the everydaypaleo and wellnessmama sites. Another choice would be some high calorie smoothies. I highly recommend Primal Toad's "Toadally Primal Smoothies" e-book which is available for a reasonable price over at primaltoad.com
    Beginning of Primal Journey:
    Date: 4/6/2011
    Weight: 247

Progress:

“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” ~ Thomas Jefferson