Thread: pacificBeef journal page

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member

pacificBeef journal

Primal Fuel
    figured I'd start one for record keeping and feedback form the MDA community.

35 yrs old, 6'1", 208lbs. Been "primal-ish" for about 5 months now after returning from a wedding. At the time I was 235lbs, definitely skinny fat, mostly accumulated in my legs, butt, lower trunk including abdomen and love handles.

In the beginning of Febuary I was 225lbs and started training for a marathon and within 2 months gained 10lbs, quite the opposite of what I was expecting. Fell for the charm of "Born to Run" and thought marathon training would help me become skinny.

A friend initially mentioned MDA in March during a casual tennis match but didn't look at the website until the end of June when a coworker talked to me about Taubes and sugar. Initially, it seemed like a rehashed Atkins.

Before I left on a trip, I read PB and decided to give it a try despite my fear of kidney complications (runs in my family) and being told excess amounts of protein would be bad for my kidney function.

In the past, I would experience kidney pain for inexplicable reasons ranging from iced lattes to pasta binges. Milk was present both times. I figured I would bite the bullet and up my fluid intake to compensate for any mineral build up from excess protein.

So now it's the start of November and after experimenting with various food combinations and timings, I've arrived at IF for 16/8 most days and 20/4 a couple days. No bacon, little nuts if any, very limited industrial PUFAs, floating between grass and grain beef but no CAFO, pork and just about anything else that fits the PB guidelines. If anything, I'm more attuned to Archevore's dietary advice.

I walk almost every day except lately it's been 3 days a week, 2.4 miles round trip M, W, F. I go to the gym and do barbell training emphasizing compound lifts. I'm experimenting with different routines (SS, 5/3/1, RPT) to figure out which one suits my needs and time allotment.

Generally my mood has improved quite a bit. There are episodes at least once a month where I'm irritable but they pass in a few days. I'm not sure if it's IF or sleep or both.

I'm vitamin D replete AFAIK, taking 5000 IU nightly. Maybe I need more? I do live in Southern California and when I walk, it's usually very sunny.

Nightly, I take ZMA and fish oil. I'm a big fan of fermented foods like miso, kim chi and sauerkraut.

That's where I'm at so far.
    Last edited by pacificBeef; 11-03-2011 at 05:26 PM.

As of today, these are my current strength levels

Bench - 210
    Overhead press - 120
    Deadlift - 280
    Squat - 140

using this 5/3/1 calculatorI'm barely untrained to beginner on most lifts except for Bench where I seem to be a novice. My goal is to reach intermediate or the standards set by the fuckarounditis post

Tomorrow is deadlifts 5/3/1 style but my routine will probably change after this cycle (in week 2 of first cycle) and try out RPT for a month. I'm not too concerned with gains at the moment and instead, I'm trying to concentrate on balancing the time I spend in the gym with how I feel while coming under my lunch break constraints (1.5 hour lunch). Once I figure that out I'll stick to one routine for a bit and measure my progress in earnest.
    Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Walked to the gym today.

Deadlift:

100x5
    125x5
    150x3
    230x3
    205x3
    175x9

RPT bastardized 5/3/1. not sure if I liked the shock going from 150 to 230. One thing I liked about SS was gradually going up and pulling a single at around 80% during warm up. However, I don't like squatting every workout or every other workout for that matter.

Accessory:

Arnold Press:
    35x5
    45x5
    47.5x5
    50x5

Seated wide grip rows:
    100x5
    115x5
    130x5

Chins:

A few weeks back I felt a strange pain in my right lower pec all the way to my inner bicep. The only thing I did different that week was bodyweight dips and L sits. Needless to say, I feel it in workouts that involve my chest and for some reason, that includes pull ups/chin ups. It's recovering but I've stopped bench altogether and have gone with 25lb-35lb dumbell presses until the pain goes away. Still a little dull but I'll play it safe

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    PacificBeef, glad you started a journal! I'm looking forward to reading it because we have much in common. We're both SoCal residents with similar IF and training patterns.

I think you'll like RPT. It works well for me. Gives you one set to go crazy on, and then some manageable sets for volume. Feels very natural.

Have you had a blood test lately? Vitamin D is always an interesting number to check. My guess is that you have plenty, though. I might get a little more sun than you but my levels are high without supplements.

Good luck reaching Leangains intermediate level. I hope to meet you there!

thanks timothy. I work in West LA M-F.

Thanks for the heads up on the Vit D testing, I'll definitely look into it.

Cold today. About 51 degrees all morning and during lunch. Jogged lightly to the gym

Overhead Press
    45x5
    55x5
    65x5
    80x5
    90x3
    100x5

Squat:
    55x5
    70x5
    85x5
    100x3
    115x3
    125x5

Chin ups:

Still like the "warming up" feeling of progressive load vs RPT. I think I can figure out effective RPT percentages without such a huge shock and without spending too much time.

Pec is feeling fine with only a little residual "crustiness". I was told that scar tissue builds around sprains like mine and takes some time for dead cells to fall off. I was also told massaging helps it along. Needless to say, I'll still play it safe when bench comes around on Wed and stick to a work load of 135lbs.

Technically, next week is deload for overhead press, deadlift and squat. From there, I'll try a reverse RPT scheme using the following template based on work set poundages:

3-4x60%
    1-2x70%
    1-2x80%
    3-4x100%
    4-5x90%
    6-8x75%

a little chilly again in Santa Monica. Took off from the office doing walk-sprint type movement until halfway to the gym and decided to walk. Squat is still lagging but I'm happy with the progress using good form

Squats
    55 x 5
    70 x 5
    85 x 3
    115 x 2
    125 x 1
    135 x 3
    125 x 5
    115 x 5

Lots of sets but worth it for the warm up. I find that doing a single at 80% and 90% prepares me mentally and physically for the actual work set. I did RPT until my form broke. Deload for squat next week

Overhead Press
    45 x 10
    55 x 5
    65 x 5
    75 x 5

Deload week for OP.

Chins

I'm surprised with the progress here. Looking back to 5 months ago, I couldn't do 1 chin up and body weight from a full extension. Now, around 4-5 reps my form breaks. My plan is to get to 8-10 straight before I move to weighted chins. Took 3 minutes rests between sets.

Went back to the office using walk/sprint again. Legs were a little fatigued but all good. Deload week for deads on Friday. Wed, I'm planning to start up bench again now that there is no irritation in my pec. yay.

Overall I'm satisfied with the progress and more satisfied with going slowly and safely.

Bench

95 x 5
    105 x 5
    115 x 5
    125 x 3
    135 x 3
    145 x 3
    155 x 3
    165 x 3

adjusted my grip to be a little wider. elbows don't flare out as much, which might have contributed to my injury. pec is fine, very very very tiny residual irritation.

Chins

3 1/2

Still happy with chin ups. thinking about alternating grips on different days.

closing this up and moving to fitocracy

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    PB, would love to follow you on fitocracy if you wish to share your name.