Thread: Eating out... page

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member

Eating out...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's been difficult being as primal as I feel I need the past week and a half! We've had an old friend here doing some work for us, and we've eaten out every day, except the weekend. I've skipped the bread and potatoes and such, and chosen as primal an option as I can (except for the chili with beans yesterday, and I paid for that!) but found it interesting that I'm really wiped out in the afternoon, after lunch.

This may be partly that I'm not used to having people around, of course...I work freelance and my husband and I are usually here alone during the day. When you add another person into the mix for morning coffee, chat, and lunch out to our normal activities, and I'm surprisingly tired for a big fan of the primal approach! (I've been doing Primal Blueprint since July, after a BP scare.)

Anyone else notice the effect from a change like this? I'm 69, by the way, so that could be part of it. Still squeezing in as much quiet time and doing my yoga as I can, plus my normal isometrics, but this feels like going backwards.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Eating out, even when choosing the primal options (why is it that restaurants only seem to have beans or broc as a side veggie?), always makes me lethargic. I chalk it up to the oils and unknown substances that they put in their food and look forward to the next home-cooked meal. Salads are usually less offensive for me, digestively.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Eating out, even when choosing the primal options (why is it that restaurants only seem to have beans or broc as a side veggie?), always makes me lethargic. I chalk it up to the oils and unknown substances that they put in their food and look forward to the next home-cooked meal. Salads are usually less offensive for me, digestively.
    Agreed I stick with salads...

Hot wings do not bother me and that is my other go to option.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Chipolte also works well. Luckily I love broccoli so meat/veggies works well at most places. You could ask for a side salad with olive oil/vinegar instead of hot veggies with your beef.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Agreed, I know they don't use organic stuff and no idea what their oils are. Most restaurants around here have fries, mashed potatoes, pasta salad, baked beans or canned corn. Um...no thanks. I've been trying to choose chicken and vegetables or BBQ without sauce and cole slaw (the ONLY workable option there!), and just had a pretty good spinach salad, but at home it would be free range eggs, nitrite-free bacon and organic spinach! I am SO spoiled! We'll see if I get all lethargic after the salad...

Quote Originally Posted by Glockin Grok View Post
    Agreed I stick with salads...

Hot wings do not bother me and that is my other go to option.
    The Jamaican jerk chicken with onions and mushrooms wasn't as bad, either. Hot wings are usually a tad hot for me, but I'll keep that in mind. BBQ around here normally uses high fructose corn syrup in the sauce...not good...

Normally we eat out about once a week...this is a LOT!

Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    Chipolte also works well. Luckily I love broccoli so meat/veggies works well at most places. You could ask for a side salad with olive oil/vinegar instead of hot veggies with your beef.
    The veggies weren't awful, they were just steamed, period. No seasoning, no butter. I had to force myself to eat them! And yep, definitely been doing the oil and vinegar salads. So does eating out make you all draggy too?