Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with surplus fat? page

billp is offline Senior Member

What to do with surplus fat?

Primal Fuel
    Now I cook much fattier meats and don't eat bread, pasta rice and potatoes, what can I do with the surplus fat? Bacon only needs a little bit of fat to start with as it comes with its own and makes a surplus after cooking. Roast chickens always end up swimming in fat. I don't want to throw it away. The other day I ended up cutting a triple slice of bread and using it to soak up all the chicken juice, but this is far from ideal as now I am relatively unused to carbohydrates the bread gives me a headache and makes me feel over-full later. But the chicken juice was nice!

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    i usually put the drippings back on top of chicken before eating, oh and i coat my chicken in bacon grease before i bake it

i only keep bacon grease, none of the others ...
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

strom is offline Senior Member

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Save jars or get some and refrigerate it for later. Always nice to have veggies cooked in fat, and I bet it would be useful for baking experiments as well as stews!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by strom View Post
    Save it for later cooking.
    I always try to have something in the fridge to fry up eggs or whatever else but I have the opposite problem, never enough fat which is what the coconut oil is for.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    yeah i LOVE coconut oil on veggies etc ...

ive never kept chicken grease .. maybe i should??? works well for you guys?
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I keep it and use it - brilliant for frying fish cakes, or potatoes, or to pour on veg, or frying eggs - the list is endless. And I regularly render down pork fat to make lard, which I use inn quantity.

Chicken fat, duck fat, pork, beef - the only one I don't really like is fat from roast lamb. It seems to coat the inside of the mouth . Yuk!

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Save jars or get some and refrigerate it for later. Always nice to have veggies cooked in fat, and I bet it would be useful for baking experiments as well as stews!
    Am doing that already. It is still going off before I eat it! I did add a lot to a duck soup/stew, but it got to taste too greasy - I really added a lot. I skimmed a bit off. Having a fat fortified soup was very good when I got back from my 20 mile bike ride after a 1 day fast.

Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    I keep it and use it - brilliant for frying fish cakes, or potatoes, or to pour on veg, or frying eggs - the list is endless. And I regularly render down pork fat to make lard, which I use inn quantity.

Chicken fat, duck fat, pork, beef - the only one I don't really like is fat from roast lamb. It seems to coat the inside of the mouth . Yuk!
    Normally I steam vegetables. I think the trick is to cook less veg when frying them, as otherwise it gets too much. I have found that although good streaky bacon (the only kind I get) has its own fat, by frying it in 1/4" fat it cooks much more quickly and crispier. Also the eggs consume are good deal of the fat. My surplus is a bit smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by touchdowntodd View Post
    i usually put the drippings back on top of chicken before eating, oh and i coat my chicken in bacon grease before i bake it

i only keep bacon grease, none of the others ...
    I do find lard is much nicer than chicken or duck fat, especially after a few days. Lard and dripping I never throw out. The bird fats don't seem to keep or fry as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast