Thread: Ideas for cooking/consuming fresh artichokes? page

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I have gotten so many great primal recipes from people on here, that I thought I'd check with you guys on some ideas for preparing this (seemingly complicated) item. All I know is that it should be cooked for a long time due to toughness, and some parts (choke) are inedible.

Any delicious recipe ideas are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

MandyGirl77 is offline Junior Member

Hi, I just steam them in a pot with water and garlic. It usually takes up to a half hour. Love artichokes!!

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I also steam them. I wash the artichoke, cut off the top inch or so, and then spread the leaves open a little with my thumbs... then steam them face-down in my steamer basket in a pot (I put lemon juice in the water). 30 minutes sounds about right... I just take them out when they smell really good.

Then I eat them with hollandaise sauce. http://www.joyfulabode.com/2009/08/2...andaise-sauce/ which is super-easy to make.

To eat an artichoke, pull off the leaves one by one, dip in hollandaise, and scrape the flesh off with your bottom teeth. When you get closer to the middle, the bottom half of the leaves is totally edible and it will just come off in your mouth when you try to scrape.

Once you get to the middle you will see the teeny leaves that are harder to deal with because they're so small... pull those off and scrape off the furry-looking "choke" with a spoon (I use a regular spoon but if I had a grapefruit spoon I'm sure it would be perfect for this purpose).

Then eat the whole "base" of the artichoke. That is the heart and your reward for getting through the whole thing.

It's DELICIOUS.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member

Thanks, ladies! I'll be steaming a few tonight

Everything in moderation, including moderation.