Thread: Almond milk yogurt! Success! page

bogusjourney is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

Hi everyone! I am so excited right now because I have finally succeeded in making a tasty and thick yogurt from a nut. The reason this is important to me is that I am a huge fan of yogurt but am really not supposed to eat dairy at all, first of all because I am lactose intolerant (but yogurt and butter are usually ok) and second of all because my doctor recommended that I eliminate dairy as part of a diet to improve my endometriosis. A few of the books I have read on the topic of dietary changes for endometriosis recommend making one's own nut yogurts to replace dairy yogurt and still get the good probiotics (and the tastiness of yogurt). Well, it took me a while to get around to it but I finally did it. Here's the recipe I used (third one down on the linked page). So good!

http://www.giprohealth.com/makingyogurt-2.aspx

here's another one that I looked at: http://www.pecanbread.com/recipes/almondyogurt.html

The reason I chose this recipe is that I could use almond meal/flour instead of making the almond milk from scratch, as I am at school right now and have only my Magic Bullet in place of a true blender. I had to add a little less than a tablespoon of agave to give the yogurt bacteria something to eat since almonds don't contain enough sugar. I also have a yogurt machine (thus why I am finally experimenting with this). I made a coconut milk yogurt too, but it is a little more gelatinous than the almond, which is nice and thick. I still wonder if raw milk would make an acceptable yogurt for the endometriosis diet, but I kind of doubt it. Seems like dairy really should be out; has something to do with prostaglandins and inflammation.

In any case, hooray!

kjake55 Guest

It sounds great. I gave up yogurt and diary in general but once tried greek yogurt and didn't like it at all. This may be just the alternative to both. Thanks for the info!

Interesting.

And this tastes good too?

I'm not really one to give up my dairy (yet, but maybe I should? Oh Lord, I might as well die!), but I'm still interested in this alternative.

Thank you for sharing!

bogusjourney is offline Junior Member

No problemo! And yes, it does taste good. I ate it with some liquid stevia and cinnamon mixed in. Hard to describe, but kind of like a very thick, almond flavored yogurt that is just the tiniest bit grainy. But just barely. The coconut milk yogurt is much smoother, but it didn't set up as well as the almond. Happy yogurt making to anyone who gives this a try!