Thread: Gall bladder and metabolism page

LabRat Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Soooo 20% turned on me. (Or rather, I made a choice to stray that did.) Yesterday was basically entirely spent on the go or with my in-laws, whose company I really enjoy but can be summed up diet-wise by the statement that I have never seen my father-in-law eat a vegetable that wasn't a potato, except maybe the odd piece of carrot. I chose to go with the flow- lunch at Sonic, pizza for dinner.

As background information, while I was dealing with a complex of stress-induced health problems some years back, I had what my doctor eventually decided were gallbladder attacks. The first time landed me in the ER for the evening and was probably a thrown gallstone accompanied by a nice side dish of infection, and the rest have all been transient episodes that seemed to be straightfoward swelling/irritation attacks. For those who have never experienced one of these episodes, they are unpleasant in the extreme- it feels like someone enthusiastically kicking you in the stomach for a couple of hours. I'm pretty sure my someone wears steel-toed boots at that.

Anyway, today I woke up with what felt at first like mild abdominal muscle pain from yesterday's workout but quickly evolved into the full-on steel-toes treatment. The attack's passed but I feel like a ruptured cow and probably will for the rest of the day. My doctor told me the way to avoid these was to eat a low-fat diet, but as I never saw any correlation between <i>fat in general</i> in my diet and the attacks, I disregarded this advice along with the rest of the CW-driven stuff, like the memorable time we were told a type 1 diabetic should eat a low-fat, low-carb, low-protein diet. (I still don't know what it was expected the type 1 should do instead- learn to photosynthesize?)

I CAN, however, draw a line between two data points- the last attack I had before today's was also after bloody Sonic. So I'm guessing it's something to do with crappy food rather than fatty food.

Can anybody with a better biochemistry and metabolic understanding than mine enlighten me as to what sort of indulgences I should avoid like poison so as to avoid this kind of thing? What metabolic process boxes the gall bladder like this? I've been eating pretty clean for the last couple of weeks- as your system adjusts to a less insulin-riffic environment, does the "punishment" become potentially harsher?

I'll sure as hell overcome a bit of family peer pressure in order to avoid hours of agony, but I'd like to know when that's actually at stake.

This saved my life: http://curezone.com/cleanse/liver/huldas_recipe.asp

I didn't even know I had gallstones before I attempted this.

My metabolism shot through the roof after doing only ONE of these.

(BTW - your stool should not float, but sink, as this is an indication of proper bile release and/ or cholesterol utilization in the colon. Mine finally sank after this flush and my energy increased as well.)

You CAN rid yourself of these without the hospital visits and I recommend 'flushing' several times to get the full benefits!

thebkon Guest

@SassaFrass88

That sounds kind of scary (WARNING!

Make sure you are able to tolerate Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom Salt) before you attempt to consume 4 tablespoons.

People unable to tolerate Magnesium Sulfate may suffer negative reaction, even death.

Several people died from the results of Epsom Salt overdose.)

I want to try it but... maybe I need a few shots of liquid courage before I commit to it mentally.

LabRat Guest

Yeeeeaaah... there's some good "this claim is BS" editing on there, but between the more than slight whiff of quackery in the original material (HIV and AIDS cure, really?), and the "if you're sensitive you could die doing this" and the "or you're in for the worst night of your life"... I think I would prefer to know more about how the gall bladder interacts with fat, carbs simple and complex, and other factors and see if I can't desludge my system slowly through improved diet while avoiding the things most likely to make my tummy a'splode.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

Gallbladder problems can be caused by a very low fat diet. When you have bile sitting in your gallbladder for long periods of time - because a fatty meal is not forthcoming the bile hardens and can form into a stone.

Once you have gallbladder problems and eat a fatty meal you will get the pain.

The fatty meal doesn't cause gallbladder problems from the onset but once you have gallbladder problems fatty meals can aggravate it.

Here is a link to Second Opinions by Dr Grove on Gallstones:

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/gallstones.html

Tarlach is offline Member

Before I went paleo I had attacks and then had my gallbladder removed.

I tried the liver cleanse, but it didn't fix me. I got a pile of large, soft, stone looking things, but when I had the op, the stones small and hard looking.

The stones probably accumulate over years of eating low fat (as it doesn't empty your gallbladder properly). Prevention seems the only way to miss this problem and I wish I ate what I do now when I was younger...

I doubt the liver cleanse will do you any harm and I gave it a go to see if it would help. If you can't get the stones free from that, you could try and eat low fat for a day and then have a big dose of fat. That will probably either help, or send you to hospital. Either way you will probably have to have your gallbladder out one day to be 'cured'.

Otherwise you need to find your triggers and avoid them (ie. fat). This wont fix your problem though and you just avoid the symptoms.

* I don't have any real issues from not having a gallbladder that I know of.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Clint is offline Senior Member

I had similar attacks and ended up having my gallbladder removed in an emergency surgery when I was 24. After they pulled it, they said that it was full of stones.

The reason that your doc says to avoid fatty foods is b/c the gallbladder stores bile which helps digest fat. So when you eat a fatty meal, your gallbladder tries to pump out bile and sometimes tries to pump a stone out and that is, more than likely, causing you the pain.

The "avoid fat" advice is a blanket recommendation and may not pertain to you individually. My trigger was dairy. Hunk of meat; no problem. Milk, ice cream, cheese or the like and I was up all night in severe distress.

Like Tarlach said, avoiding the foods only stop the symptoms, but if you have gall stones then you have gall stones and there's nothing you can do except have your gallbladder removed. You want to be careful about trying to pass the stones as you could get one lodged in your bile duct (which is what happened to me) and that is even worse than the normal gall pain!

Trinkwasser Guest

BTDT, one factor in causing them is probably dyslipidemia from eating too many carbs as one ingredient is cholesterol. Another potential factor is autonomic neuropathy stopping the gall bladder from contracting properly, hence the bile is retained until it starts to crystallise out.

Avoiding fat helps stop the bladder contracting and forcing the stones through the bile duct, which had me grovelling on the floor praying to die on numerous occasions. There were drugs available which could dissolve the stones, or they could be smashed with ultrasound and passed (hopefully with less pain) but AFAIK these treatments went out of favour as the stones tended to return unless the gallbladder was removed: keyhole surgery made this a relatively easy process unlike when I had mine done - they opened me up from navel to ribcage and delved in with both hands.

Once the diseased bladder has gone you will almost certainly be told to eat a low fat diet, but IME this is pointless: I dutifully followed instructions and my undiagnosed diabetes got worse. Now I eat few enough carbs and enough fat that this no longer happens and can't say I've noticed any difference. A few people may get "steatorrhea" from excess fat but while this is common *with* the stones I only heard of one person getting it after a cholecystectomy, so I suspect the low fat thing is just a reflex response from the doctor.