Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pheasant - how sad! page

breadsauce is offline Senior Member

Pheasant - how sad!

Primal Fuel
    I was given a pheasant yesterday by a friend who had "bagged it" on a pheasant shoot. Plucked, but not drawn.

Wow! I thought - wild game - must be great; all the right omega 3 6 balance etc. Then I came to remove the bird's guts etc. What did I find - the crop full of wheat grain.

It looks lovely - but now I feel sad and cheated - a grain fed game bird! Are all UK pheasants fed on grain??!!

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member
    Um. Pretty sure birds are actually supposed to eat grains and seeds, in addition to grass and bugs.

brighthorse is offline Senior Member
    yes...that is what they eat...

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    Eat him and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!! just watch out for any shot left... Chipped tooth is no good.

Pheasants, like chickens, will eat damned near anything they can get their beaks on.

No worries.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Hooray highschool biology!
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the positive (for the pheasant!) responses. I shall enjoy him much more now!

Kimelah is offline Senior Member
    I thought chickens were sole grain eaters, due the proverbial picture in my head of the kindly farmer ('s wife/daughter,etc) out among the clucking chickens tossing seeds about, as though it were the ONLY thing chickens COULD eat. I've since learned different.
    But when I see packaged chicken with the words "grain fed" on it, I think how those chickens must have missed the other things their bodies needed to be healthy.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    That's like complaining that a cow's stomach is full of grass....it's called the food chain.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Chochobo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimelah View Post
    I thought chickens were sole grain eaters, due the proverbial picture in my head of the kindly farmer ('s wife/daughter,etc) out among the clucking chickens tossing seeds about, as though it were the ONLY thing chickens COULD eat. I've since learned different.
    But when I see packaged chicken with the words "grain fed" on it, I think how those chickens must have missed the other things their bodies needed to be healthy.
    same for me, until i started to buy my eggs from farmers market, i was like are ur chickens free range and all that. she said yes they roam around eating bugs and grains. i was like bugs? lol
    "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
    started @400+pounds
    CW: 191lbs 15%BF
    PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
    UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast